Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Chords in Standard Notation

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@johntmssf)
Topic starter  

ok,so I just began learning guitar, and with my guitar that I bought came a beginner's guide, and I'm just beginning to learn chords.
My question is how do you read/play chords within standard notation, I know how to read music in standard notation (I've been in the school band playing tuba and baritone and trumpet for the past 6 years, but those instruments can't solo chords) I just don't know how to read and play the chords in standard notation... an example of what I'm seeing is:

____G7__________________ :note1: _____
________________ :note2: _____________
____ :note2: _________________________
__________________ :note2: ___________
_____________ :note2: ________________

An answer to my problem would be deeply appreciated, thanks.

(@alangreen)

What you'll see is the notes you need to play lined up vertically, and standard notation gives you all the timing and duration info you need too.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

As Alan said, chords are written on the same stem - one note for each string.

In the example you posted, there's a chord symbol - G7. That's there for a rhythm guitarist to comp over your playing. There's a strong relationship between the melody of a tune and the harmony, so much of the time your notes will be part of the chord.

In a G7 chord you have four notes: G, B, D, and F. If you were strumming an open G7 chord, you'd be playing six notes - you'd have two G notes and two B notes (that's called 'doubling' in harmony, and it doesn't change the chord name). Your melody notes appear to be B, then F (or maybe E*), followed by D, G, and then F. In tab, it would work out this way:

---------1-
-0---3-----
-------0---
---3-------
-----------
-----------

So you'd be playing an arpeggiated G7. If the second note in your example is really E, you'd play it at the fourth string 2nd fret, and it would be a 'non harmonic tone' - a melody note that isn't part of the chord. Sometimes the melody part will have those notes.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

This link to free sheet music for guitar has several examples of how chords are written in standard notation.

http://www.8notes.com/scores/615.asp

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

It's also really kind of hard to see where your notes are falling with the "notes" on the lines there, but yeah, what everyone else said as well.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote