Guitar? Drums? Dilemma

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi
A bit of advise needed please from fellow musicans, Were really struggling with a drummer for our band, we have one but he works away a lot and at short notice so rehersals can go a bit to pot, were getting a drum kit for our rehersal room on Saturday and am thinking of playing the drums and getting a new rythym guitarist as i think it'd be eaiser finding a guitarist than a drummer, Past expereince proves that drummer are hard to come by, do you think this would be a good or bad idea??? :?

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Do you actually want to play drums? That would be my only thought. It you want to do it gor for it, otherwise stick to the instrument you want to play. A guy that played bass in a band I was in went on to be in a "real" band in the big city, he ended up doing the same thing. They couldn't keep a drummer so he took over on drums. Oh, real band means they had a video on Head Bangers Ball on VH1 and had one of their songs used on Spike TV for a wrestling show and toured Europe. He's back home now and just got married. Not sure whats up with the band. Ummm, yeah ..... do you want to play drums?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

mmm..not really, it was just to get the band going really and we have a guitarist already, might just see how it goes with the drummer we have, see if it improves any, i've thought about it a bit more and don't want to give up all the time i've put into learning guitar, plus i have loads of kit, 4 guitars, amp, cab, pedals would be a waste if i just gave it up. i think i just had a mad moment...cherrs for the advise.. :D

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm with TR don't do it unless you really want to

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

This thread has a lot in common with the one posted not too long ago about "is leading a band difficult".

As you can see...it's like herding cats.

To be successful...in one respect today's electronic dynamics make it "easier". To get a band full of dedicated musos with no-one out of sorts is nigh on imposkibubble. But to play "everything" yourself (electronically) may sort that out as far as recording goes...but, then, it won't do much for playing live.

Drummer??? Get what you want done by a drum machine...it'll sound way better than you just starting out in front of a kit. When you have a real guy at the kit...okay...use the drum tracks as a guide. In fact, it's best to have a GOOD drummer set up your drum machine tracks...

I wish ya luck!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi
A bit of advise needed please from fellow musicans, Were really struggling with a drummer for our band, we have one but he works away a lot and at short notice so rehersals can go a bit to pot, were getting a drum kit for our rehersal room on Saturday and am thinking of playing the drums and getting a new rythym guitarist as i think it'd be eaiser finding a guitarist than a drummer, Past expereince proves that drummer are hard to come by, do you think this would be a good or bad idea??? :?
sorry mate but can you already play drums?i don't think that you can play drums all of sudden if you've never did it before! Drums require a lot more coordination and a better rhytmic sense than other instruments 'cause each hand and foot usually keep a different rhyhtm. i.e. in a typical rock beat you play on beat 1 and 3 with your right foot, on beat 2 and 4 with your left hand and you play quavers on each beat with your right hand and left foot: not the easiest thing to do without a lot of excercize!

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

That's what I was thinking, matteo. I have no experience playing anything in a band but I wouldn't think someone who never played drums before could just pick it up and be good enough to play for a band. It's a lot more difficult than it looks and there is more to good drumming than whacking away in time to the music. At least that is what my drummer father used to tell me when he let me play with his drums when I was a kid.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Unless you have a passion for the drums, stick with the guitar.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

mmm..not really, it was just to get the band going really and we have a guitarist already, might just see how it goes with the drummer we have, see if it improves any, i've thought about it a bit more and don't want to give up all the time i've put into learning guitar, plus i have loads of kit, 4 guitars, amp, cab, pedals would be a waste if i just gave it up. i think i just had a mad moment...cherrs for the advise.. :D

You don't need to give up the guitar to play drums. I didn't.

I for the life of me will never figure out why people think playing only one instrument at a time is nessecary.

(Five and counting.:roll:)

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You can learn to play drums too. And play the guitar as well. Nothing bad in learning both of them (and even playing). Paul McCartney did (he played almost every instrument ever imagined).

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Drummer??? Get what you want done by a drum machine...it'll sound way better than you just starting out in front of a kit. When you have a real guy at the kit...okay...use the drum tracks as a guide. In fact, it's best to have a GOOD drummer set up your drum machine tracks...

I wish ya luck!

Cat

+1

Drums are probably the easiest to replace with a 'virtual muso'. It's quite common now to see buskers or even stage performers using a backing track that features a drum machine. I took a few drum lessons specifically to learn how to program a drum machine and/or computer based drum software. Not to learn the programming itself, but to understand what I wanted to put in, when, where, and why. I also find that in a live situation that I'd often prefer less or more subtle drumming than sometimes gets dished up. Do it yourself and you get just what you want... :)

It can be a bit of a pain operating machinery when rehearsing - especially if you don't want to keep restarting from the beginning. If I'm trying to put something together, I use some very basic beat tracks - with no fills, variations etc. These can be just looped and left running. Once it moves on the the next stage it can be replaced with a tailored drum track with all the required extras in the right spots. As Cat says, if you do use a machine it does pay to get some input from somebody who knows how to write a percussion track - when you try it, it turns out there's more to drumming than just randomly hitting things... great fun though that is.... :wink:

I'm still an absolute novice at all this, but there's a heck of a lot you can do with 'virtual instruments' for both drums and bass if you're having trouble getting them played reliably live. Good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I think Chris has listed out a very important equipment that can be used in your practice sessions.

You can even get a drumpad on which your can play with actual drumsticks, record the beats and they loop them in a certain pattern. Good enough for practice sessions till your find a replacement drummer.

There is the dared midi also, should you want to try it. I have heard some awesome midi drum tracks !

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all, Long time no post.... How's everyone been?? Well the dilemma was sorted, i play the drums now, still play my Guitar at home and Mandolin too which i got for christmas, fitted straight into the drum like i'd been playing for ages, it's loads of fun, our band has really got somewhere the last couple of months everything is settled and progressing wicked, thanks to everyone on the site who helped me over the last year or so.
Thanks Mark..

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Then you should change the avatar! :lol:

Just kidding. Congrats! I think you did it right, if you think you can get more fun in the drums, you should do it. You can always return to the guitar and if you play it at home you will maintain your fingers and knowledge ready for that moment (if it comes).

Congrats again Mark! :D

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Glad to hear it worked out and you are enjoying it. That is the most important part!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2