Clear all

Guitar exercises for dummies?

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@michaelee)
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

So I've been playing for just over a month and a half now, and progress has been slow but sure (I think). I've got a few of the Easy Songs under my belt, am playing the finger-picked "Scarborough Fair" and "Dust in the Wind" fairly smoothly, and can usually transition (at moderate tempo) between open and basic barre chords without buzz.

I religiously practice my basic chromatic scales -- up and down the fretboard -- for finger speed and accuracy, but am not as good about practicing my major/minor scales, partly because I'm just not sure how best to go about it. While I enjoy learning and practicing songs, I'm also hungering for some exercises that, in the long run, will help me improve technique, speed, and accuracy.

I know some folks admit to hating the tedium of daily scales sessions, but I actually find that it relaxes me in a OCD-ish, Zen-ish sort of way (much to my wife's chagrin). What types of exercises should I be focusing on right now? Should I be working through major/minor scales daily? The pentatonic scales? Would a book like "Guitar Exercises for Dummies" (on Amazon, here) be a good purchase?

Or am I going about all this the wrong way? Should I be concentrating more on learning chords and smoothening out chord progressions, and saving the scales for when I've got more theory (thanks to David for everything I've picked up in that department so far) to back it up? Perhaps the much vaunted Rosetta Stone of Guitar would be a better purchase?

Thanks for reading, and any advice!

Michael

... I'd rather be strumming my Seagull S6 steel-stringed beauty

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I wouldn't buy books on exercises because practically each instruction book for a specific style and also the general books include exercises.

I practice scales every day. I practice them in several ways. Sometimes I play them from note-1 to note-n, from note-n to note-1. Sometimes I play them over all the fretboard, or I use only a couple of strings, or I play the notes in groups (A-B-C-D, B-C-D-E, etc.). Sometimes I mix major and minor scales. I also use the circle of fifths and practice each "position" in the twelve keys.

ReplyQuote
(@hornfinger)
Eminent Member

I mainly practice the minor pentatonic as I'm blues-focussed; the 'blues scale' also allows some practice for bending. I know what you mean about getting into 'OCD' about it. It can be quite hypnotic going up and down the scales; you suddenly realise you haven't had any high-level thought for a few minutes, and your fingers have been flying up and down :)

I like practising the '4 up' method mentioned above (A-B-C-D, B-C-D-E) as well. Generally I mix up my practice; do a scale for few minutes, strum a few chords, do a bit of blues riffing, some power chords.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

+1 on the scales as groups of four. I also do groups of three, and I play scales using intervals of thirds fourths and fifths too. But I spend the bulk of my time working on improv, composition and specific techniques. And repertoire pieces. I'd recommend for a beginner playing the major, minor, and blues scales, working through the cycle of fifths as noted above. These have practical musical benefits. Chromatic finger exercises can be added later, but for now focus on playing these cleanly and increasin the tempo as you become comfortable. As you've only been playing for a month, I think this will likely keep you nicely occupied for some time before you need to add further scales or exercises.

It doesn't matter how many scales or exercises you know. What matters is how many you can play well, and much more importantly, how well you can utilize them in your playing of music.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Ugh I hate you, you are doing basic barre chords already?!

But seriously, wow thats great, just do what these guys ( and gals) above said and you'll be fine, normally it takes a while to get into barre chords O_o they are dreaded.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@outlaw-pete)
Eminent Member

For a month and a half it sounds like you're doing great

ReplyQuote
(@michaelee)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the advice (and encouragement)! My luck with barre chords is in large part due to the great advice to be found in these here forums. That, and big hands, maybe. :)

I started practicing my chromatic scales in sets-of-four yesterday with alternate picking -- it's a pretty fun exercise! I'm also working on doing the same with the pentatonic blues scale (it sounds pretty good that way -- mildly musical, even). I also plan on picking a different major scale each practice session and working it up and down the fretboard.

I think I have an elementary grasp of the circle of fifths -- it relates the different chromatic notes together based on the number of sharps/flats in their respective major scales -- but I'm not sure what it would mean to "practice" it. Does that just entail working through the major/minor scales in the order that they appear on the circle?

Oh, and what are "repertoire" pieces?

Finally, on a scale-practice related note, I always try to land only the tips of my fingers on the strings -- this sometimes leads to my pinky finger occasionally sliding off the "fatter" E/A strings and creating buzz. It's frustrating, because the "biggest" targets end up being the ones that mess me up. How important is it to always fret with the finger tip proper? Is it a common beginner issue?

... I'd rather be strumming my Seagull S6 steel-stringed beauty

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

A "repertoire" is a collection of songs or musical pieces that you can pretty much perform on demand. Everyone's repertoire differs in both number of songs and how one decides to define "perform." :wink:

As for the tips of the fingers issue - as you get more comfortable both with the guitar and with your particular guitar, you'll find that you can essentially "cheat" a little bit in terms of where to place your fingers and whether or not you're right on the tips. The important thing is to still get the notes cleanly and clearly. Beginners often don't even realize they are cheating until they try to do a string-by-string arpeggio of a chord and then find numerous "tunks" taking the place of a clean note.

So keep with your tips as long as you can keep your mind on it. In the long run it will do you a lot better. Also, if you ever should find yourself having problems with a particular chord or fingering, going back to the "tips mentality" will often help you nail the new chord or fingering down.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you're progressing very nicely.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I think I have an elementary grasp of the circle of fifths -- it relates the different chromatic notes together based on the number of sharps/flats in their respective major scales -- but I'm not sure what it would mean to "practice" it. Does that just entail working through the major/minor scales in the order that they appear on the circle?
The circle of fifth relates all the chromatic notes. Let's start with C. The fifth of C is G. The fifth of G is D. The fifth of D... If you continue with the fifth of each note you will get that the fifth of A#/Bb is F and the fifth of F is C. We have "closed the circle".

The text is in Spanish but the notes in the diagram use the English notation. I made that diagram so copy and use it as you want:

http://learningbass.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/circulo-de-quintas/

You could practice each scale or even a riff using the circle of fifths. Play the scale in C, then in G, etc. You can start with the first note in the sixth string, thus you will memorize the notes in that string. And also in the fifth and fourth strings.

Note that if you read the circle counterclockwise you are finding the fourth of each note: the fourth of A is D, the fourth of D is G, etc. You can also practice scales in fourths.

It's very funny.

And what is one of the most important thing here? While you are practicing scales you are also memorizing the fourth and fifth of each note. If you know the circle of fifth you will transpose the key of a song in a hurry.

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

I have this book and would highly recommend it...

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=98751bcd

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Michael,

Have you seen Justin Sandercoe's Finger Gym (plus all his other great stuff):

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-001-FingerGym.php

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

To follow up on the original post... I downloaded the "Guitar Exercises for Dummies" (pirated PDF) to check it out.

(Don't judge me on this one...I find it difficult to practice using the computer screen, and considering the book is 250 pages... it would be impractical to print out... soooo... it really is just a trial run to see if I want to buy it. 90% of the books I have I downloaded before buying - I am a big advocate of buying downloaded material (music, movies, books) if you are getting use of it and enjoy it).

Upon first inspection... yeah... it is something I may buy. It seems pretty comprehensive and well laid out.

I am working my way through a few books right now, and the last thing I need is yet another book... so I won't be buying it any time soon.

(Sorry, I can't give out a link to the PDF copy - even via personal message)

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote