Clear all

Guitar Fit

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Alright - this question's for my husband's benefit (rather than mine). I'm a bad influence and now he's taken up the guitar as well (also as a complete novice). We found one he really liked the look of (it's an older Washburn Idol series one) and each time he picks it up he complains of pains in his thumb/wrist and down the left arm. However, when he tries mine the problem is lessened somewhat - mine's a different model and the neck's slightly longer.

Obviously we don't want to waste money left right and centre but we do want to get him something he's comfortable with - does anyone else have experience of this problem or any suggestions. Are we best just going into a store and having him pick up a bunch of guitars and see how they feel (much as you try on shoes and walk up and down the store before buying)? Seems the problem is harder when you're a novice, not being so familiar with how to hold the instrument well and all that. Pity you can't take the guitars home for a little while to see if you get along with them.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The neck size and shape are important issues. Usually people finds some troubles with "thin" necks. A friend of mine had a similar pain when he played one of those "shredder" guitars.

Also beginners apply too much strength and pressure to the strings. I guess this could be the main problem. He should perform some warming up exercises and try to rest his muscles from time to time. If he feels pain, he shouldn't play until he is recovered. And if he keeps feeling any pain... I'd visit to the doctors.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

You can also make sure you are using light gauge strings to start with.

Also, don't hold the neck too low - it looks good on rock stars, but holding it in a comfortable position is better for playing.

When I started playing bass full-time I had the left thumb pain because of the thick neck, heavy weight and string tension (Fender P.Bass), but I had to do it to make a living. With time my hand got stronger and it quit hurting.

YMMV

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Im assuming he's playing sitting down with the guitar resting on his right leg. [he is right handed right? ] Personaly I have three guitars, and one, my accustic, has a MUCH thicker neck then the others. It can be tough to play a lot of the same stuff on it, that I can breeze through on my others. I have found that its easest to play that one by putting the guitar on my left leg. It raises the neck up higher, and give the arm/hand a much better angle to work with. Sometimes a guitar just doesnt fit you though. I had a heck of a time when I first started using Strats. Just the way the body sit on me, and the way the strings are flat to the body did not feel right. I took to the les paul a lot faster. As ive gotten better ive been able to adapt more, but starting out it was tough.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

it certainly sounds like a tendon problem. Is he trying to do too much too soon? At this stage he should be more concerned with single note stuff and three-string chords than using the Vulcan Death Grip to get all six strings down.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm having a heck of a time working out what his problem is with it ... I mean I see the odd way he seems to have to twist his left wrist (yes he's right handed) whether he's sitting or standing up. I've tried to help him but I'm just not qualified, being a newbie myself, I think. He's not been trying to do anything fancy at all, just trying a basic three-finger chord such as an A seems to cause him pain.

I've got my lesson on Wednesday, he's going with me to ask if either the teacher or the guy in the shop can see what he's doing wrong exactly and how he could possibly remedy it. At the moment I'm not hopeful - get the impression that the guitar he got for himself is going to be re-sold :(

I'll get him to read some of the suggestions though - thanks guys :)

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Maybe take a picture of him fingering some chords, and some of the pros here might be able to point out what hes doing wrong.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hmmm... is it a new guitar? Do you know the strings gauge? When I bought my acoustic, it came with 013-056 or something like that. You need press really hard to make the strings sound. If he feels better with your guitar, perhaps you use a different gauge.

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

He also bought a used guitar - the main thing isn't the pressure on the fingertips but somewhere in the wrist/arm angle required to fret the strings themselves.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Try getting him to lift the headstock when he plays so that he can keep his left elbow/ wrist/ fingers in more of a straight line.

Photos would really help us diagnose the problem. Any chance?

Alternatively - if you have Skype - my User ID is "rollmopmusic"- my webcam seems to have a focus problem at the moment but that shouldn't stop me having a look at your other half's playing position.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

You can also make sure you are using light gauge strings to start with.

Yep. I don't know why people use such fat strings, anyway. That's what I say. (Gidday, matey...) My Epi dreadnaught plays like a strat with a .009 set on it. Tinny and lower volume, but you can play anything on it. But nobody listens. They move out but do they ever call??? :roll:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I keep telling my hubby that there's all these HELPFUL people on here and passing along what you all say ... along with the idea that he should actually read the posts himself. I'll open the page for him tomorrow when he gets in from work, no excuses then not to read, haha.

ReplyQuote