Clear all

Guitar Humidifier

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mikec)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

When I bought my acoustic guitar I was told to put a guitar humidifier in the case to protect the guitar's wood from drying out and cracking, which I have done. I have just bought an American Strat and I'm wondering if I should have a humidifier in the case for the electric as well. Thanks for your comments.

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

not that i've ever heard of. i don't know if it's because an electric is solid wood or because the paint protects it. but an acoustic is made from thin pieces of wood that dry out.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I agree with pearlthekat, I've never heard of needing to put a humidifier in with an electric, I think it's cos an electric is "solid" i.e. no air spaces, thicker wood etc. (But don't quote me on it! :))

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

thats a new one on me also, with an electric, i would'nt worry about it

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

hmmmm... I have heard that as the wood of an acoustic guitar ages and dries a bit it sounds better...I suppose that's not true of all acoustic guitars...just the ones that are made from wood and not laminate?

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

They sound better as the wood ages as long as it is being played.

Drying of the wood is another matter, it is very bad for a guitar.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

For an acoustic to much humidity can be just as bad as to little. To little and the wood can crack; to much and the wood can swell, warp and come unglued. I think the last time we had this discussion, there was a consensus that 50% humidity was optimum. Whether or not you need a humidifier depends on the climate your acoustic guitar is kept in. As was said, electrics don't need a humidifier.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@mikec)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone. I knew you would know.

ReplyQuote