Notifications
Clear all

Guitar ID question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@econoaddict)
Topic starter  

I have been offered a guitar towards a swap.
I am fairly new to the guitar world.

I searched a bit and didn't turn up much info at all on the guitar.
Found a bunch of Samick/Gb guitars but none in the model below.
Looking for opinions on overall playability and value.
Just trying to make sure I get something that isn't junk/lowend, already have those :?
Value ($$) is really secondary but I don't wanna get taken to bad.

Anyway its a Samick 5015 Interceptor by greg bennetts design, I have not seen it yet, the trader says its in good condition and plays well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I did a quick search, but found nothing as well on that model, are you sure it's the right model number? The Greg Bennett Series doesn't seem to follow that numbering system.

However on harmony-central.com they have reviews of Greg Bennet guitars and it seems that there is a con for every pro on it. I wouldn't do anything without checking it out first and playing around, it seems to be low-mid range, but I wouldn't consider it "junk"

Hope this helps a bit.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Samick is long time Asian builder, and the Greg Bennett line is supposed to be Samick's "designer" line. Samick makes reasonably good, serviceable guitars under its own marque and many others -- once as one of world's largest producers of guitars, but now with more competition that may not be the case. Typical new prices for Samicks are about $300 US and up. I've never seen one street-priced more than $700, but it's possible they exist. The Bennett line probably falls in the mid to upper end of that range. Used and in good condition, I wouldn't consider it worth more than $250 in figuring your swap, unless the owner can prove it was a high-end Samick . Even then, $400 would probably be generous. It's also a very good idea to check it out before swapping/buying -- no matter what the owner says.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@econoaddict)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info.

I stopped by the local music shop and they couldn't find any info on that model # either.

I emailed the owner and will try to set up a meeting at the music shop so we can see what he really has.

ReplyQuote