Guitar Lessons

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, today is a difficult day for me. I have been seeing the same guitar teacher for about a year and half. I have a very good relationship with him and he has been terrific. But last week he caught on to the fact that I hadnt practiced. That wouldnt have been so bad but it had happened the two weeks before that and I could tell it frustrated him. At first we just traded a couple comments in jest, but I think the more he thought about it the more it really disappointed him and frustrated him. At the end of the session I was mad too. At first at him, but then a day later I realized that he was exactly right to be frustrated (IMHO). He's not just taking my money and going through the motions, he legitimately wants me to learn guitar. I also realized that I had way to much on my plate.

My ex had place an increasing about of time on me that I needed to spend with my kids (not that I mind), I had been taking on college classes, I was learning piano and harmonica, my new band was starting up and really I wasnt doing any of them justice. So I dropped most of my college classes so I could focus on what I really wanted to do... music.

I went out and purchased a Boss RC20XL Looping Station and I have been studying the lesson my guitar teacher gave me all week. But still I feel like I am not much better at it. FYI - He simply gave me the Major/Minor Pent scale in G in all positions and I was to learn the root notes in as many as I could.

My lesson is tonight. Now I am worried that he will see that I havent progressed much and think that yet again, I didnt practice. But I did.

I do have one question. I practicing by laying down a 4/4 rhythm of G-Em. I loop that and then improve using the G Major and Minor Pent scales. It appears that the root notes are the same for both. Is that true? Does it sound like I am doing it correctly from the way I wrote it? I always get stuck in the first position once I try to move up I really get confused.

Nuff rambling.. suggestions are welcomed

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I do have one question. I practicing by laying down a 4/4 rhythm of G-Em. I loop that and then improve using the G Major and Minor Pent scales. It appears that the root notes are the same for both. Is that true? Does it sound like I am doing it correctly from the way I wrote it? I always get stuck in the first position once I try to move up I really get confused.

Geoo - the root notes are the same in G major and g minor yes - its G.
Not sure how your exercise is supposed to be, but there is a system to it - remember that G major has the same notes as E minor (one sharp), so that you can move your pentatonic minor pattern three frets down the fretboard and get the major - NB, rootnote is not at the same place obvioulsy. (Did that turn out correctly... I think so...)

Re. your teacher - after all he gets payed and should accept you not practicing occationally. But then again, off course it's much more fun for him when you actually improve!
And don't worry if you have been practicing he will notice.

good luck
LaRS

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Em is the relative minor of G Major. Since you can use the minor pentatonic scale over it's relative major, it ends up being the same NOTES, but it's not the same scale.

A major pentatonic scale is the major scale minus the 4th and 7th notes.
A minor pentatonic scale is the natural minor scale minus the 2nd and 6th notes.

In G, the major pentatonic scale is G A B D E G
In E, the minor pentatonic scale is E G A B D E

The ROOT note is different, but the scale notes are the same.

As for the practicing --- sometimes you'll have a bad week of practice, but you still worked hard. That happens.

What is important is that you do work to get better. I wrote a post yesterday about practicing, and it sounds like you're in the same boat I am -- lots of time commitments means I have to get the most out of practice time. Taking time to plan out my practice sessions in terms of goals for each practice really has helped me get more from less time. Not saying it's a panacea for everyone, but it sounds like you're having similar problems to what I was having.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Re. your teacher - after all he gets payed and should accept you not practicing occationally.

As someone who teaches, I disagree.

I am paid because I am providing a service, but it is unethical of me to take money from someone who is clearly not interested in actually using those services.

Having a bad week happens.

Having a protracted habit of not practicing is a reason to tell a student, in no uncertain terms that they either start practicing or stop taking lessons from me.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Having a protracted habit of not practicing is a reason to tell a student, in no uncertain terms that they either start practicing or stop taking lessons from me.

I agree with that, and all the instructors at my teachers studio are like that. My son takes drum lessons from the same place. He was about one practice away from her dropping him as a student for that very reason. Her point was "Why teach a student that doesnt want to practice when she has people lined up waiting to take lessons from her that will practice"

And thanks for the comments guys. Maybe I am more on track than I thought I was. I tell ya what.. that Boss Looping Station is awsome for working on this kind of stuff.. I think.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Re. your teacher - after all he gets payed and should accept you not practicing occationally.

As someone who teaches, I disagree.

I am paid because I am providing a service, but it is unethical of me to take money from someone who is clearly not interested in actually using those services.

Having a bad week happens.

Ok, maybe I read the first post a little quick. :oops: three weeks without practicing looks like a bad habit. It seems to me though, you are basically interested in playing, but you have had too much to do lately. It's not like your mother is threatening you to go or something. That is a differece... Well, think I'll rest my case, put on a silly hat and walk over to stand in the corner for five minutes :)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

Why can't you just take some time off? You know, until you get caught up on things or work a schedule out that allows time for you to practice.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Being a physical education teacher I get enjoyment when I see my students able to perform the skills I taught them. When they can't perform a skill or don't follow directions sometimes I feel like I failed in some way. Maybe this is how your teacher feels geoo. If this was just a one time thing then he would be over-reacting. But since you mentioned this has happened before he may be taking it personally that you're not practicing.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

In my situation over the last couple of months I've heaped way too much on my plate. Unfortunately I have not been able to put in nearly as much time to the guitar, not to mention the harmonica :(. The joy of playing is most certainly still there, but alas! there are a few too many things that have higher priority atm.

Anyhoo, my teacher has still been very happy with my progress and complimenting me on such. Recently though I brought it up with him that I thought maybe I should take a break from lessons since I didn't want to 'waste his time'. He reassured me that I was still making progress and that I was my own worst critic, which is pretty true. He also said he enjoys the lessons and in no way was I wasting his time.

He also warned that if I stop lessons I'm likely to drop practice completely purely because of the other competing factors in my life. He's also a bit the same since he's been learning piano for the last four years or so. Sometimes he can't put in the practice for the piano, but his teacher works within these constraints and doesn't want him to stop lessons for fear of pushing it aside in favour of the higher priority things in life.

I think the key is as Kingpatzer has alluded to: making the most of your limited practice time. Also, even putting in just a little time everyday helps too.

As far as your teacher is concerned, I think it's best to be upfront about it. I think most of us who play are more frustrated with OURSELVES than our teachers are. I can understand the teacher's point of view but if you're upfront then they can work with us with that in mind. Not all of us have a life of luxury and all the time in the world.

If I were the teacher and I could see that a student had love for their instrument, enjoyed playing and put in whatever time they could spare I'd be happy. Maybe other teachers who teach predominantly kids would find this more difficult though since they are dealing with those that (generally) don't have full-time jobs, family, properties, mortgages etc etc and therefore have a LOT more time in which to practice. If they're not practicing it's usually for other reasons, not time restrictions.

Good luck with all mate. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Why can't you just take some time off?

Well, even though I hadnt been practicing.. my guitar IS my priority (other than my kids) in my life. I love playing my guitar and I hate being with out it. Truthfully even though I wasnt practicing what he wanted me too. I was still playing every day.

I made adjustments now though. I have plenty of time now.. I think
may be taking it personally that you're not practicing.

I think you are right on there. He really is a great guy.. I think hes mostly concerned. Maybe feels like he isnt teaching me things that are keeping my interest.. Dunno.
I think it's best to be upfront about it.

Totally agree. I think we'll be discussing tonight (I have lessons tonight)

Great comments all.. Thanks. Still nervous but it will all be over in an hour.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

So, how did it go, Jim? I've been following this thread and would love to know how things shaped up.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So, how did it go, Jim? I've been following this thread and would love to know how things shaped up.

Opps sorry Banre.. I have been meaning to update this morning but I have been knee deep in other threads and conversations.

So I show up at my lesson and I can tell right away that this has also been on his mind by the way he is acting. He's very "perky" and maybe more friendly that he even normally is.

We sit down and he compliments my new guitar again and asks if he has gotten to play it yet over his new amp. I remind him that he got to play it last week and handed to him again. He starts playing really beautiful jazz sounding chords, telling me he might have to go buy a Schecter C1 EA for himself.

Then it begins. He started telling me that people are different when it comes to learning music but that the key was listening to my heart and finding things that I can learn that really motivate me. He says that, for instance, he is a scales guy. He loves scales and after all these years he still plays scales alot. He tells me that he knows I am not a lazy guy at which point I kind of interupt and tell him that it isnt that I am not interested in what I am learning, that it is just that I didnt have enough time in a day to practice. He some what ignores and continues all the while really jamming out on my guitar.

About the time he finishes the "lecture" he does this wild bend and **SNAP** the e string breaks. Terror is on his face, I am laughing like crazy.. He is searching for a new string and apologizing.. So I hand him the new strings I had just purchased and he offer to change them all and to oil my fretboard, which needed it badly. Then it was my turn.

I told him that I just had way to much on my plate. That I had started school, that my kids were now in school, that I was learning piano and harmonica, and I was just under alot of pressure and tired to boot because I never got to bed until 10:30 and I had to wake up at 1:30 for work. That this had been my schedule everyday. Told him I had done all that in hopes of being a better muscian but in the end it made me a worse one because I could never practice.

He totally understood then. He was happy that I quit most my classes and said that I can be more of a musician playing, learning to play, and practicing than by going to college and getting a degree in music.

At the end he didnt charge me for the lesson since we mostly talked the whole time. He earned even more of my respect than he already had. And as a bonus he gave me a quick 45 second lesson on playing "Green Onion" which my band is wanting to play.

It was a great night. Went back to the Blues Jam he hosts on Thursday nights at 9pm and spent an hour having a blast with about 6 other guitarist.

Thanks for following :lol:

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Great to hear it's all working out, Jim.
... and said that I can be more of a musician playing, learning to play, and practicing than by going to college and getting a degree in music.
Mate, I totally agree with him there. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Great to hear it's all working out, Jim.
... and said that I can be more of a musician playing, learning to play, and practicing than by going to college and getting a degree in music.
Mate, I totally agree with him there. :)

I'm a big proponent of formal education in any field. Parituclarly fields with as much depth and history as music.

However, that is something for people without jobs who can dedicate teh time and energy it takes to go to all those classes, study all that material, and still find time to grow and explore as an individual creative person.

If taking the classes and doing the homework leaves you with no time to noodle around with your instrument, you'll end up being very well educated on all the theory, but not really all that prepared to play your own ideas.

It's a tough call, but if you've "got a day job, you're doin' all right . . ."
:)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

was that a typo? you sleep 3 hours a day?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2