Clear all

Guitar lessons pricing

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Been playing for 8 months now, and I think I'm gonna take the big step to getting lessons (I'm gonna be nervous as hell). I don't know if I should take my electric or my acoustic. I want to work on barre chords so I'm leaning toward the the electric, because it's easier to fret/play. I can't get my ring and pinky fingers to arch enough (F chord) to stop muting the 1st and 2nd strings. I tried laying down those 2 fingers first, but then I can't barre the index finger. Maybe I'm not ready for barres yet.
Back to the topic. The local music store wants $15 for a half hour lesson (4 lesson minimum). Does this seem reasonable?

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Yes, it is reasonable. Here in Colorado Springs, Colorado, one hour is $30 w/ most teachers. I think they also charge $20 for a half hour.

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Yep that's reasonable. Here (Canada) I pay $20 per half hour.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

We have this conversation a lot round here. My teacher in London is £25 (US$50) for a half-hour lesson, and it's money well spent.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I pay $40 for an hour here in nyc but my teacher is on vacation from private lessons because he's teaching at the National Guitar Workshop. I just got a great deal on a group class. ten classes devoted to Red Hot Chili Pepper music with a total of five people in the classs for $300 and I can break the payments up into thirds.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

No matter what you pay, be sure you feel you are getting your money's worth. Are you comfortable w/ the teacher? Are you progressing at a speed comfortable to you? Is the teacher engaged in teaching you or is he/she there to make $30/ hour? A good partnership between a teacher & student can really move you ahead. A bad one will frustrate you.

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member

I pay $71 a month for 4 half hour lessons with a insane teacher.

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I pay £20 an hour every week for lessons.

My eldest son pays £18 per half hour every two weeks.

My youngest is taking lessons through his school with the same guitar teacher as his brother costing £35 pound a term for a twenty minute lesson every two weeks.

All lessons worth every penny.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for your input. I'll check back in after a lesson or two.

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I pay $71 a month for 4 half hour lessons with a insane teacher.

Insane, maybe. Weird, definitely! Why such and odd number. I've never heard of someone paying $17.75 per lesson (ok, I have now, but still). It's not even in the middle 15 and 20. :?

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

$15 for a half hour is about the lowest price I've seen for lessons, if the teacher is good don't let that get away.

ReplyQuote