Notifications
Clear all

Guitar picks

29 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Sorta makes it seem like a good idea to suggest to the US Mint that when they roll the penny (1 cent) over to a plastic token that it ought to be in the shape of a guitar pick :-)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Great idea.
And if you don't play the guitar, you can use it to clean your fingernails.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It would fit right in with the recent calls to make currency easily distinguishable by feel for blind people, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

The sixpence, that Bryan May uses, is an old one (commonly called a "tanner"), from the days when they still had a high silver content. He must have quite a few, because they are quite soft and will wear reasonably quickly.

True- sixpence were out of circulation LONG before my stint in the UK. (A few years in the mid nineties.)

But I've heard they still mint them as special editions for collectors. Far too expensive for ME to use as a guitar pick, but I suspect that Brian May is on a different budget than I am. Given what people pay to hear him play, I guess if he wants to play with collectors' items...he can afford it.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The sixpence, that Bryan May uses, is an old one (commonly called a "tanner"), from the days when they still had a high silver content. He must have quite a few, because they are quite soft and will wear reasonably quickly.

True- sixpence were out of circulation LONG before my stint in the UK. (A few years in the mid nineties.)

But I've heard they still mint them as special editions for collectors. Far too expensive for ME to use as a guitar pick, but I suspect that Brian May is on a different budget than I am. Given what people pay to hear him play, I guess if he wants to play with collectors' items...he can afford it.

Best,
Ande
There are really two sixpenny coins - the later coin, which is an alloy and contains almost no silver (if any) and the earlier coins (which is what I believe Bryan May prefers), which had a high silver content.
Britain went decimal in the early 70's and the tanner went out of circulation. There are still thousands around, though, because there was big business in people buying the old, mechanical one-armed bandits - which all took sixpenny pieces.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I agree with greybeard it's a matter of prefernce and it changes from time to time. I know it has for me. I'm using a slightly thinner pick than I used to use which was the very thinck kind but also agree with jeffster I can't imagine playing metal with thin picks.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am still searching for gutiar picks...

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I jump back and forth between a 2mm and a fender heavy(i guess it like 1mm or something). Pick gauge is totally up to the player

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@chasing_time)

I use the Light & Medium to play Rthym & Riffs
The Hard ones to play Solos & Leads -
Future greatest Classical Guitarist

" Stalking is a sign of desperateness, a psychological problem hence a disease."

ReplyQuote
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member

Is the price of picks really breaking the bank for these people?

ROFL +1

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

ReplyQuote
(@hoogomoogo)
Eminent Member

I use 1.0mm :mrgreen:

I sorta Play the Guitar.......Only sorta tho. *shifty eyes*

Now working on: That Dang F-Chord, Barre chords, strumming faster, And the Prelims of Finger picking.

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member

i tried quite a few picks for a good few months, now i stick with 60mm jim dunlops..Try loads and stick with what you lick best, you can afford to try all types when there only 50p each.

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

John Fogerty said "try as many different picks as you can."

My favorite picks are the ones that grow on the ends of my fingers.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Fungus?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2