Clear all

Guitar Principles - Jamie Andreas

43 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure this question has been asked, but since there is no search function I can find the previous thread.

Has or is anyone currently using the Guitar Principles learning tools from Jamie Andreas? If so what has been your experience? It sure looks like something I could use.

Scott

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

OK.. here's my answer. . .

What Jamie has to say will definitely help you become a better guitarist.

However, nothing Jamie has to say is particularly unique or insightful.

He basically says the same things that any good teacher anywhere says:

Use good form
Be relaxed
Practice at slow tempo
Use a metronome

His book is a good read. But it didn't contain any information or insight that isn't readily available at places like guitarnoise for free. It is however, collected and organized for you, which might be a benefit to some people.

I have not tried his video products so I can't speak for them.

If you're a beginning guitarist and you have not found yourself a good teacher, it may well be worth it to look at Jamie's materials. If you are a seasoned guitarist and you notice some fundamental flaws in your posture, technique etc., you also might benefit. But if you're a guitarist who has had a good teacher who emphasized technique and posture it's unlikely that his book will be of real value to you.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The huge amount of importance that's placed on body tension is what puts me off getting Jamey's books. I was almost decided on buying the book when he sent round one of his newsletters which had a section about how some of his students had said that they were now too scared to practice in case they got too much body tension; and he had to publish a proviso about playing being about controlling tension in the right way. I'll have a look through his old newsletters over the weekend and see if I can find what I'm banging on about.

Personally, I find Jamey's website contains some great philosophy. Check out an article called The Inner Master and apply it to your normal day-to-day.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I like Zen guitar better, but I think you nailed the review Kingpatzer.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yes I agree with King, it's good stuff but it's not unique.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

I beg to differ but my opinion may be biased as I am one of Jamey's students.

IMO, Jamey's book/dvd is a MUST for a newbie. Even a pro would find it beneficial. It contains the most basic knowledge one must have if he/she wants to play up to his/her potential.

Admittedly, Jamey emphasies a lot on correct posture and minimizing tension but thats because it is an absolute requirement to be able to play well.

Alan, I think what Jamey had meant was you can never eliminate tension completely but you must try to reduce it to a minimum.

Check out the website http://www.guitarprinciples.com and read a few articles. I think you will agree that one must know their trade really well to be able to write such detailed yet simple articles.

Cheers.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Alan, I think what Jamey had meant was you can never eliminate tension completely but you must try to reduce it to a minimum.

Cheers.

You could easily be right. I don't want to come across like I'm slating the guy - I'm in no position to do so as I haven't got his book - but I'm not sure that body tension is quite the 100% cause of all problems like I feel he puts across in his newsletters.

Check out the website http://www.guitarprinciples.com and read a few articles. I think you will agree that one must know their trade really well to be able to write such detailed yet simple articles.

Cheers.

I agree - as I said, there's some great philosophy there, and he clearly knows his guitar stuff. My thinking is that I don't believe his method could ever be my sole source of guidance, but it certainly works for him and his students and that's what's important.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I do not have the DVD, but I do have the book. It has helped so far as I was able to change some bad posture that I have and sitting straight has helped my back and neck. I also tried the classical guitar position while sitting and I like this. Book has helped me with little things like I grit my teeth while playing and I lean to the left like the leaning tower of Piza. Working to correct my problems and I am noticing little things. King hit the fine points well. I have not tried the DVD, would like to but sort of cash right now so I am woring from the book.

JMO

John M

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Has anyone read the book concerning hammer ons and pull offs? I was thinking of getting it, as I am starting to play more legato style stuff and this style seems to hinge greatly on technique. I've read the articles on GN by Hans, but do not seem to be getting it....something about the way I'm holding the guitar in relation to the pull offs is causing me to work harder than I feel I should. Of course, I know it takes practice and everything but I feel like I'm missing something big. Has anyone found this to be a good source?

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member

I have Jamies book and it has helped some. Holding the guitar correctly helped me a bunch,had to make some adjustments but it helped. His finger (walking) exercises helped with dexdierty too. It helps to make you aware of tension you dont realize till its pointed out. To me it was worth the price to just correct some basic things.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Are you refferring to the first book or the hammer on/pull off one?

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I've read countless of his free stuff on his site, and could find absolutely nothing that didn't make some sense. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything noone told me before either. What's worse, his way of explaining the same old stuff to me is more irritating then running out of beer, and no matter what I try I can't help but think less and less of him with every line I read.

Mr. Andreas is very fond of telling us his way is pretty much the only way. While he has the right to have his own opinion, I still have to face the fact that hardly any of the artists that made the 3000+ playlist I created have perfect posture, and none of these artists is called Jamie Andreas. I guess it must be hard to be the best guitarist ever without being able to get his brilliant songs out to the masses...

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Dude, just out of curiosity, where did you read Jamie claiming her way to be the "only" way?

Also, number of songs put out or album sale is a rather loose way of gauging one's merit. 50 cent / Brittany Spears sell thousands and top the charts with their mind numbing crap while Bob Dylan recent U.S tour gets slammed by the critics. Go figure!

BTW, Jamie does have an album out.

Disclaimer: My opinion may be biased as I am one of her students.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

funny - I thought Jamie was a guy.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Not anymore, there was something on that site about a sex change

ReplyQuote