Guitar set-up

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi!

I bought my electric guitar about 4 months ago and I have some little problem on it.

Some buzzing sound when I play open string, the action seems higher than it was at first and the 3rd string doesn't seem to sound right (bridge problem, my teacher told me to put graphit but it didn't helped)

So I was wondering if I should pay for a professional adjustment? Probably yes, but how much does it costs?

And will it last? Cause it's pretty dry with the winter that is already here in Montreal and I guess the neck will change again when I'll come back home.. (?)

Or should I try by myself to change the action of my guitar? Which I never did before.. :roll:

And how often does it recommend to get a guitar set-up?

Thanks

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@beaner)
Estimable Member

I knew which guitar I wanted, but when I found one at the right price, I just bought it without playing it instore. After my first weekend with it, I found it to be quite buzzy and the "B" string just fretted out at the first fret when played open. I took it back and they did a setup (including new strings) for free. That might be an option for you.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Is that your guitar in the avitar? It looks like a fixed bridge. Pardon my eyesight if it's not. Not that hard to do though. A GN'er who used to post quite a bit has a pretty decent site with instructions. I've given it a whirl a few times. About $10 for a set of feeler guages is about all you need that isn't common in most house-hold tool kits. Your guitar should have come with the truss-rod screwdriver thingy.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm

An example of what feeler gauges are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeler_gauge

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote