Guitar Setup?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi All,
I'm a n00b, been playing for about a month now. I have an Agile AL2000 that i bought last year (which was lying unused till a month ago :( ). But now i practice regularly and i was wondering if i should get the guitar setup. I'm comfortable with the action (i think). But sometimes my low E string buzzes. I'm not sure if it's due to my sloppy playing. I've tried to play single notes on it and didn't hear any buzz. Should i go in for a guitar setup? A place near my place charges 65 bucks for a set up.
http://crislerguitar.com/index.html

Another problem i have is with distortion. I have a Roland Microcube and i've been trying to play the intro to 'Crazy Train' with distortion. But i'm not happy with the distortion that i get. When i increase the gain i still get a bassy tone on the low E and A strings compared to the crisp distortion that i hear in the song. I've tried tweaking the guitar knobs and the gain on the amp to no avail. I use .009 D'Addario nickel strings.

I apologize if i've got my theories all wrong, i'm just feeling my way around. I posted both my problems in a single post in case they are related. Thanks.

FB

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

(@denny)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN FB. Being an acoustic player, I can't help with the distortion question but as far as the setup, IMHO, if you're comfortable with the action and the low E doesn't buzz when you play it singularly, I would leave well enough alone for now.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

$65 :shock:

Is that really the going price now-a-days?

I would look around at other shops, you might (should) get a better price.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

i just got a fender strat done for 30 euro about $43 i think

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm no expert on Agile guitars - but I've used a few Cube amps, and I've found from experience it's best to have the bass turned fairly low (about 2-2.5) if you're trying to play a riff like CT, or indeed any Sabbath or AC/DC or loud rock riff....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thinking about it from another angle, playing powerchords you're using mostly the bass strings anyway - but you want a fuzzy, trebly sound? Yep, turn the bass right down.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. I've started taking lessons now. My instructor pointed out that Randy uses chorus in that song and that seems to produce the tone i'm looking for. Thanks again for the replies.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Fretboy, I have an Agile AL2000. As I've said here so many times before, I have a couple of "real" Les Pauls and I love my Agile. It plays and sounds great. I can't believe it's that much for a setup. I do my own. It sounds to me like it isn't half bad by the way you describe it. For Crazy Train are you using the bridge pickup? I use the bridge pickup for most of my distorted playing. That would be with the toggle switch on treble. I would also recomend trying those amp settings Vic suggested. Have fun! :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Fretboy, I have an Agile AL2000. As I've said here so many times before, I have a couple of "real" Les Pauls and I love my Agile. It plays and sounds great. I can't believe it's that much for a setup. I do my own. It sounds to me like it isn't half bad by the way you describe it. For Crazy Train are you using the bridge pickup? I use the bridge pickup for most of my distorted playing. That would be with the toggle switch on treble. I would also recomend trying those amp settings Vic suggested. Have fun! :twisted:
Thanks TR. Yeah i use the bridge pick up. Microcube doesn't have any direct way of turning down the bass. I've turned down the tone, put the amp in Rfier and played around with the gain settings. Right now it's more guess work and intuition on my part. I'll hopefully nail it.I have moved on from that song as i'm finding that little jig in the intro difficult to nail down at the moment. I'm not able to switch notes on the low e string perfectly. I'll get back to it sometime later. I've decided not to go in for the set up right now. I showed the guitar to my instructor and he felt it was playing very well. I'm comfortable with the action and it stays in tune amazingly well. Thanks for all your replies. This place is great. Nice substitution for the female canines :twisted:

ReplyQuote