Clear all

Guitar solos, keys, and backing tracks

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hey everyone, i guess as this site puts it i am finally turning my "scales into solos" Anyway, my blues book has the pentatonic scales in 5 positions tabbed out and it says "A" i guess thats referring to a key? I learned all the scales, and found some good videos on licks through those scales, and finally i played to a backing track and it all started clicking (This has been like a 3 month process for me). But now as i go into youtube to look for backing tracks they all will say "12 Bar in Key of C" I know what 12 bar is but does the key have something to do with a different scale or a differnt part of the neck? Also how do you guys practice soloing? do you use backing tracks and where do you get them? thanks guys

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yes the C means it's a 12 bar Blues in C instead of A. So in the key of A the first position starts on the 5th fret and the first position of the C Minor pent starts on the 8th fret (which is a C).

All the other patterns move down three frets from where they were in A.

Hope you understand that.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

now how does that transfer into the backing track though? if i played to a backing track in the key of A does that mean i should stay in that pentatonic first position? the reason i ask that is cause when i see a blues solo or something it looks like they are moving all over the fretboard not really sticking to that area. thanks

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

They are moving all over but the are just playing in the other positions of the minor pentatonic scale. If you remeber the minor pent scale has five positions or patterns as they are somwtimes called.

The 1st positiion of the Amin pent scale starts on fret 5 of the low E string which is an A and they others follow in order so they cover the fretboard and repeat at the 12th fret.

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

so than does it matter how the key of the song goes with the position. like if a band said "were gonna play 12 Bar in C, go get a guitar and start ripping it" would that mean i should solo off of the C position pentatonic scale at least for the first 4 measures? thanks for answering all these i know im probably sounding repetative

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

You can stay in the Cmin pent for the whole song and it would sound good. You could also change the scale you are using based on the underlying chord being played but I think that's a bit more advanced and at this point stick with just the minor pent.

So if you want to practice get some 12 bar blues backing tracks and start soloing over them with the corresponding minor pent scale.

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks a bunch man that cleared up alot

ReplyQuote
(@garry1111)

http://worldelectricguitar.ru/minus1.php Best Guitar Backing Track 8)

ReplyQuote