Notifications
Clear all

Guitar strings???

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@richclayton7)
Topic starter  

Hi, i've been learning to play guitar for about 9 months now, i have been learning on one of my friends old electric guitars. When he gave me the guitar i cleaned it up and re-stringed it because 2 were broken, my question is . . . .

How often should i change the strings, someone told me i should have changed them by now, is he right????

Thanks

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

For most people yes. Some people (even some famous guitar players) don't change them unless they break but most people change them much more frequently than that. Some of it is going to depend on what sound you like, how much you play, how you play (lots of bends or hard strumming), is your sweat acidic, etc. I end up changing mine every month or so on my main electric (maybe 40 to 50 hours of playing time) and less frequently on my other guitars.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it's an individual thing, the strings on my Sigma D4 acoustic are over 20 years old and still sound great. :D

The strings on my Fender Strat are probably at least 3 years old, they still sound good to me too. I am a big string bender, I like my strings to be very broken-in. The only time I really change strings is when my guitar gets dirty and I take off all the strings so I can clean the guitar real well. Otherwise, I leave 'em on there forever, or until they break. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@raistx)
Trusted Member

I usually change mine when they turn black. Also I have started learning lead and find slides much easier while the strings are a bit shiny.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Like Hyperborea said, it depends on how acidic your hands (persperation) are. I had a friend whose hands sweated heavily, they would feel wet when you shook his hand. His strings would turn black within a week, he was constantly changing strings. On the other hand, my hands have always been extremely dry, I am one of those people that has to touch my fingertips to my lips to pick up a sheet of paper. So, my strings stay good for a long, long time.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I change mine as soon as the intonation is noticeably off. Not only will the intonation bother me, but it could confuse students - I do a lot of duets in lessons.

That means the Martin I use for teaching never goes more than about 3 weeks without new strings... but then it gets played as much as 11 hours a day in the summer when kids are out of school. My main electric (which I use for my practice, so it gets at least 15 hours a week) gets strings roughly every 4-6 weeks.

But the guitars I use less often don't get changed as often. Or the one I have set up for slide - I change strings when one breaks, which works out to about once a year or so. I've never had a string break while actually playing slide, but since it's in open E at higher tension, they go spontaneously to tell me it's time.

My classicals get new bass strings about every 6 months. The trebles last for a year or two - nylon doesn't build up finger junk or rust. One classical I've had for a couple years has never been restrung, and it still sounds great - but it's not the one I play most often.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tmarius)
Trusted Member

I change strings when i can afford it :P :lol:

you don't earn much money studying!

Tom

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My classicals get new bass strings about every 6 months. The trebles last for a year or two -

Why's that? (I don't know the classical beast at all.)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@richclayton7)
Topic starter  

Thank you all very much for your help. Much appreciated :D

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

My classicals get new bass strings about every 6 months. The trebles last for a year or two -

On a "nylon" guitar, classical or flamenco the bass strings are wraped in metal like they are on a steel string guitar and those wiinds around the core will build up the gunk. The high strings are just nylon like a thick fishing line and seem to hold up better then the thin steel string cousins.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

On a "nylon" guitar, classical or flamenco the bass strings are wraped in metal like they are on a steel string guitar and those wiinds around the core will build up the gunk. The high strings are just nylon like a thick fishing line and seem to hold up better then the thin steel string cousins.

Ahhh. Thanks for the intel!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote