Clear all

Guitar Tuner...

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi. I have a question about tuners. I currently have an Intellitouch PT2 tuner. It seems to do pretty good for the acoustic guitar, but not so much for my Ibanez. Sometimes it acts funny - for instance, if I'm trying to tune an A string it works, and then move on to the D string it still shows A. If I turn it off or wait a few more seconds it will finally register right. Not sure if the batteries are in early stages of flaking out on me or not... Anyone have any experiences with this tuner?

Anyway, I was thinking of purchasing a CA-30 Chromatic tuner for my electric guitar. I was wondering if anyone had this particular tuner? If so, do you like it and is it accurate? The way the head on my Ibanez is made, it is hard to get the Intellitouch tuner to clap on and it's particularly hard to sometimes pick up the G, B, and e strings. Usually, I can get the E, A, and D strings without problems.

-Thanks!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Try plucking the string with your bare finger at the 12th fret. Cuts down on the confusing harmonics. Lightly touching the other strings to mute them helps, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Something that is so obvious it escaped me at first:
Turn the volume(s on the guitar) all the way up.
(Don't forget to turn it back down after you finish)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I have a couple of these tuners and yes, sometimes they are flaky, for me it's the LOW "E" string. I had 1 for 5 years now and it's still going strong. This is a quick and painless way to tune.

I also have a chromatic tuner, I'll use this when I play live, or, for any alternate tuning.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips. I'll try some of those out and see if it helps.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have a little system that works well for me. I mute all the strings by placing my picking hand flat across all of them. If you wait a few seconds, the tuner will turn off and not register anything. And that is exactly what you want, nothing.

Then I carefully pick my hand up, and pluck the string I want to tune one time with normal force. After about one second it will stop fluctuating and register that string clearly, and that string only.

I have made it sound much more complicated than it is, it is simple.

But when it stops fluctuating, I quickly tune it to pitch. And always tune up to the note, never down.

Then I mute all the strings again and wait until the tuner turns off and fails to register. Then I tune the next string.

I guess there are a hundred ways to use a tuner, but this works really well for me. Try it and see. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Many people like the CA-30. The LCD screen is a plus for some folks and it of course has a built in speaker that sounds a reference note to tune to -- which I love.

Its around $25 US in my area. Worth it if you ask me. Just get that low E string tuned with a Korg as well as you can, then use your ears to tune the rest. Refer back to the Korg to see how well you did. But, for heavens sake don't spend too much time trying to tune an electric guitar perfectly. It ain't gonna happen.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

But, for heavens sake don't spend too much time trying to tune an electric guitar perfectly. It ain't gonna happen.

Oh...I'm not too concerned about the electric being tuned perfect, but the tuner I have now is hard to tune an electric so I was thinking about getting a tuner for an electric. Then the other good thing is I wouldn't have to remember to take my tuner out of my acoustic case when I take my electric...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Something I've been meaning to do for years is to buy a decent chromatic tuner to go with each guitar I use regularly. It is a pain to go looking for it and swap it around among cases.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote