Clear all

Guitar Tuners

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@austax)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What should I be looking for in a tuner? (Ie spec wise, brand wise, features, etc)?

Its a 1st tuner and if music taste have any influence on choice, they can be found in other threads of mine

Is there like a certain Pitch Detection, Calibration Function, Reference tone, Tuning accuracy, Sound accuracy or Flat tuning needed?

"I am a Australian"

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It has to be a chromatic one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

I bought a Korg Chromatic Tuner CA-20. It was relatively cheap from what I remember and I have no complaints about it.

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

I have a Korg CA-40, and I'm very happy with it. It's fairly cheap ($23.99 CDN) and works well. Definately go for a chromatic tuner as you'll be able to tune any note with it, rather than just the six notes you can do with a guitar tuner.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@austax)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a Korg CA-40, and I'm very happy with it. It's fairly cheap ($23.99 CDN) and works well. Definately go for a chromatic tuner as you'll be able to tune any note with it, rather than just the six notes you can do with a guitar tuner.

Are the following all chromatic? I have done the research on them, but there are a couple of blanks in cant get the details on.

Intelliware INT202 $49
Korg CA30 $39
Korg GA30 $35
Seiko SAT100 $29
Seiko SAT500 $39
Seiko ST737 $49
Cherub WST520C $22
Boss TU80 $39.95
Marshall MT1 $47
Harthe HT12 $43
Fender AG6 Sparkle $31
Fender AX-12 $36
Fender LX-12 $40
Ashton CT200 $35
Ashton CT150 $26
Epiphone GT-820 $22
Belcat BC500 $29
Belcat BC650 $28
Belcat BC850 $28
Behringer TU100 $39

"I am a Australian"

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

It's just a tuner man, pick one and go with it. :)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yep, any brand will do basically. Chromatic means it has more than E A D G B E

It should show all notes:

E F F# G Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb E

You can't really go very wrong here.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I have the Boss TU80 and I really like it. It is chromatic and it actually displays the note name in a little LED. There are yellow dot indicators that show whether I am a little sharp or flat. My only complaint is that I am paritally color blind and particularly when it comes to Red on Black. The LED indicator is Red/Black and that makes it a little tough for me to see.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@austax)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yep, any brand will do basically. Chromatic means it has more than E A D G B E

It should show all notes:

E F F# G Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb E

You can't really go very wrong here.

Have they all got Metronomes? Cause from my searching I only interpreted that Intelliware, Boss
& the Cherub WMT555C had them (Do the others?)

Also in the Korg GA30 website it says that its a 1 - 5 semitones "Quinta Flat" flat tuning and that the 5th is need for metal and that its is a rare thing for tuner to go down to the 5th. (Is this just marketing BS, or is their truth to this?)

"I am a Australian"

ReplyQuote
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member

I must say, I've got an old old old tuner.

It's a Korg AT-2

It's never let me or my dad or my brother down. :)
I wonder if they still make those.

Katelyn

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Tuning down 5 semitones is not "needed" for playing metal. Unless you are remarkably gifted, as a beginner you will be pretty busy with standard tuning (and a little. . . o.k. LOTS of distortion) for a while.

Its just a digital tuner, nothing to really stress over. Some people actually do this by ear. :P We need to get an axe in your hands and soon!

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@austax)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Tuning down 5 semitones is not "needed" for playing metal. Unless you are remarkably gifted, as a beginner you will be pretty busy with standard tuning (and a little. . . o.k. LOTS of distortion) for a while.

Its just a digital tuner, nothing to really stress over. Some people actually do this by ear. :P We need to get an axe in your hands and soon!

Yeah im still awaiting contact by the source so should probably get all the other things nailed down in the mean time.

What do you think of the tuners thjat come on some amps, are they good enough? Ill probably need a metronome

"I am a Australian"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

No, they don't all have metronomes. You're making this too complicated. Buy a cheap tuner, see how you like it. If you decide you need lots of bells and whistles, you can buy them later.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

And not all metronomes have tuners built in. they're two different tools.

Tuning down 5 semitones (a 4th, in other words) is enough to justify buying a 7 string as the 7th string is already tuned to B (and if you don't understand the logic in that statement let us know)

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@austax)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have narrowed my choice to Ibanez Jet King JTK1 or if that doesnt suit me a Yamaha Pacifica 112.

With one of the following amps:
Roland Microcube (Has a tuner of sorts built in, but im not sure of how good it is)
Roland Cube 15
Roland Cube 15X
Vox DA5

"I am a Australian"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2