Guitar tuning problems

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@josephnyc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have a J. Reynolds nylon stringed acoustic/electric and am having a difficult time tuning it.

Strings tune perfectly when open (low-e through e), but appear to move off-note progressively more as I work my way down the fretboard. By the 12th fret, the notes are substantially off.

I haven't used it more than a few minutes since buying it new several months ago. Now I'm taking a trip and want to take it with me and discover this problem.

Any idea what's going wrong and what to do about it?

Thanks very much,

Joseph

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hi,

I have a J. Reynolds nylon stringed acoustic/electric and am having a difficult time tuning it.

Strings tune perfectly when open (low-e through e), but appear to move off-note progressively more as I work my way down the fretboard. By the 12th fret, the notes are substantially off.

I haven't used it more than a few minutes since buying it new several months ago. Now I'm taking a trip and want to take it with me and discover this problem.

Any idea what's going wrong and what to do about it?

Thanks very much,

Joseph

Before you do ANYTHING else, change the strings and see if that solves the problem

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Sounds like a couple things....

1. Could be the strings like Moonrider said
2. Intonation could be off, which seems most likely if the strings are already stretched

But remember when changing the strings of a classical, it will go out of tune VERY quickly the first like 5 days until the strings are stretched out.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@josephnyc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks very much guys!

I just started playing about 3 months ago and have never changed strings -- don't even know how to ID what kind/type of strings to get.

It's a J. Reynolds model JRC 10E

Could it as simple as the strings are brand new and haven't been broken in yet?

I'm just hating how this sounds -- I just tried to play Hit Me with Your Best Shot using power chords and an E power chord (7th fret 5th string and 9th fret 4th strings) sounds horrible -- all tinny and vibrating.

I've done all my practicing on a Jasmine acoustic and a strat knock-off which both sounds great.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

You have a Classical, so you need nylon strings.

Not sure about using classical guitars to play Power Chords etc, but I'm sure it's done.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I was at a somewhat highbrow reception one evening where a guy had been paid to be ignored while playing classical guitar on the side. I heard some pretty cool blues licks sneak through now and then. I went by to thank him and talk with him for a minute afterward. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote