Clear all

Guitaring Standing Up.

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ive been learning to play sitting down, I tried it standing up with my guitar strap, however I found the chords harder to do standing up than I did sitting down. Does this usually happen?
How long does it take to get muscle memory? Cheeers.

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I've only been playing for a month but I prefer to play standing up. But that could be because I play electric.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Work on playing for now. Change to standing later when you feel really comfortable with the chords. When you do add that skill, make sure you strap your guitar on at the same height as when you're sitting.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, it seems to just come after a time of playing. It'll be something you have to get used to though. There's no harm in doing half of your practice sitting, and half standing. This should help you to get used to it. Also, make sure your guitar isn't too low, and make sure you have the headstock angled up, towards the sealing.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Another thing that greatly affects the way you play standing up is how high or how low you hold your guitar. Hanging way down looks really cool, but you have to twist your wrists something awful to play and can't get the reach at all. Ideally, it should be at the same height, standing up as it is sitting. Play around with the strap and find a position that's really comfortable on your wrists and allows you to play chords etc. as well as when you're sitting down.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'll second what Kramer said. When I first started playing I always sat down.

I never really attempted to stand up and play until after I had learned a few songs and I wanted to feel more like a "real" guitar hero and stand up and play.....but it wasn't to be. Every chord, every note was extremely difficult to reach while standing up.

One of my problems was that I was playing with an Epiphone SG which is notorious for nose diving when you are standing. This made it very difficult and frustrating to play.

I bought a Fender Strat, not for that reason, and it was sooo much easier to play it standing up. So I started playing standing up to the point where I feel comfortable either way.

Now my usual routine is to practice sitting and once I've learned a song and can play along with the CD then I like to play it standing up.

Sorry for the long rant, it's just a matter of getting used to it, it'll come nauturally in no time.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

being a strat player I didnt know that about SG's.
when sitting and practicing, if you are like me, the face is rght down on the guitar...well, practically.

let's attribute that posture to concentration.

when standing, most guitarists either sling it low(looks cool, but ya cant play that way).
some seem to have a good balance where they can paly and still look decent.

Ive seen players with the guitar riding high. looks kind of dorky, but they all play with ease.

Im in between. but definately the neck is pointing upwards.better than a 45 degree angle.

that way, I have clear vision of the fret board and my hands are not at an awkward angle.

still, it takes some practice to play standing.
like everything about guitar playing, in time it all feels natural.

never lie on your back and play. you can really ruin your wrists.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'll second what Kramer said.

:lol:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Taso,

Dude your killing me with that avatar..All I can think of was that episode where they were looking to buy " The Kramer" I'm cracking up thinking about it.

Now that was talent, that whole cast and writers were brilliant. I can see the same episodes over and over and they stillmake me laugh.

The only one that would have been better was the pictures that Kramer took of George in his apartment in his underwear!...and you want to be my Latex salesman?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

haha.. "I see a man child, crying out for help"

Great stuff. You know they actually made the painting? I think you can get them for around 120 bucks or so.

Some great Kramer moments on seinfeld. All the characters on that show were genious actually.

But we are not hijacking this thread!

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Try using the guitar strap while sitting. Your hands have plenty to do without having to hold the guitar also.

Adjust the strap so that the guitar is in the same position sitting and standing. Your hands, fingers and muscles will not have to remember two positions for each chord. If your guitar is in a different spot when you stand the chords are also in a different spot, in relation to your hands / fingers and where they have to go.

Michael

Best Kramer line - "In my mind, I'm already gone."

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

haha

"It's L.A. Jerry, nobody leaves! Shes a seductress, she's a siren, she's a virgin, she's a whooore!"

Love it.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

When I first started it was hard enough to play sitting down, forget about when I would stand up.

But one day................it just happened. The same will happen for you. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote