Clear all

H/P help

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@chrisnw)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

This web site is excellent and is a huge resource for me. It's so good in fact, that the info I'm receiving feels like I paid for it. To all involved, Thank you!

Ok I do have a question. I cannot figure out how to do a particular hammer on/pull off. I don't understand how anyone's fingers could even hit these frets without lifting off the previous frets. Any comments, ideas suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

(@davidhodge)

I may be totally wrong about this (and pardon the pun), but I don't think most people can possibly pull off this notation as written. It could be done as a slide instead of a hammer-on/pull-off combination. Or, it could be down as a hammer-on / pull-off on the B and G strings, but you'd need to do it an octave lower because most guitars don't have twenty-four frets! :wink:

Same notes, one octave lower, different strings:
E - - - - - - -
B - 10 (H) 12 -
G - 11 (H) 12 -
D - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - -

Index finger on B string, middle finger on G string, use ring finger to hammer both strings.

Hope this helps. If you don't mind my asking - what is this bit of music from?

Peace

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

OK Dave that notation made me dizzy just looking at it but why the comment about 24. I don't see a reference to fret 24 am I missing something?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

As I mentioned, one can't (or at least I strongly suspect most mere mortals can't) play this as written. But you could get those notes as a hammer-ons / pull-off combination on the B and G strings and I wrote out where you'd have to do this.

However, those notes are an octave lower than those in the tablature. In order to get the same notes on the tablature, you'd have to go up twelve frets higher on the B and G strings. In other words, you'd be starting on the 22nd and 23rd frets of those strings (not sure anyone has a guitar that can do that, either) and then hammer with your ring finger on the 24th fret.

I should have made that cleared, Chris. Sorry.

Made me dizzy, too! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Now I see what you meant thanks for the clarification. Actually had I read this correctly I would have realized you had moved them to different strings.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@chrisnw)
Topic starter  

I too can't see how anyone could hit those notes. It's from Metallica's Welcome Home Sanitarium.

Thx for the suggestion. Here's a few measures before it, I don't know if it helps or not.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That actually does clear things up a bit. This harmony part starts right when "Guitar III" enters the score in the second measure. In that meaure, the software didn't write the parts over one another in the tablature until the last pair of notes (the half notes). From there through the rest of the music, both guitar parts are still there.

So the bottom line is that most likely it's an overdubbed guitar part. This would be a great place to cue in the announcer to say "don't try this at home!" :wink:

Thanks for that. Again, hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@chrisnw)
Topic starter  

Thx for the comments!

So If I wanted to play this alone, then I would play that first measure 3 times? Out of the songs I've learned to play so far, this is my favorite. And when I play along to the mp3 I have got everything down up to this point. So how would one person play these measures, if even possible?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Here's what I believe is the same passage from a Guitar Pro tab I have. (standard disclaimer for tabs found online)
Maybe it makes it easier?
This shows only the lead guitar, and not the others.
in the tab there are 2 guitars playing the rhythm figure behind this

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Thx for the comments!

So If I wanted to play this alone, then I would play that first measure 3 times? Out of the songs I've learned to play so far, this is my favorite. And when I play along to the mp3 I have got everything down up to this point. So how would one person play these measures, if even possible?

If you're playing this alone, you play it as written and then choose either the top line (the notes on the high E string) or the bottom line of tab numbers (the notes on the B string) when you get to the part with double notes. Based on the Guitar Pro tab that Kent provided (thank!), it looks like you go with the notes on the B string.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@chrisnw)
Topic starter  

Ah ha! Thx, both of you very much!

ReplyQuote