Clear all

Habits

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

... I've developed a few "habits" that I never see anyone else use, and I'd like to learn about that.

Habit # 1: I use three fingers on my pick. It helps me control the pick better and I use thumb on one side and index/middle on the other side.

Habit # 2: I hold my guitar BETWEEN my thighs, not on the right thigh like everyone else I know. I find much more comfort playing this way but should I swich?

Habit # 3: I tend to use much heavier picks than the people around me. I even strum with an heavy pick.

Habit # 4: I tend to rest my palm on the bottom of the bridge for faster palm muting when needed.

Habit # 5: My fingernails are naturally very girly and are long than the flesh even when fully cut, so I have to hold down more strings than needed.

I probably have more but that's what I have off the top of my habits. I'd like advice on whether I should change or continue doing something :D

(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Be forewarned that I'm a bit of a newbie myself, but I will still give my thoughts for what they're worth...

#1 - Doesn't seem like a problem to me, but you also might want to experiment with different picks. There are some that are a smaller teardrop shape that might be more comfortable with just finger / thumb for you. (I'm guessing you have small fingers? I don't think that would be comfortable for me at all otherwise.)

#2 - I'm not sure. I'd say as long as you still have good posture, it's OK.

#3 - Picks are definitely a personal preference!

#4 - Hopefully someone else will comment on this, but the first thing I think of is that you would really have problems if you used a guitar with a tremolo (you'd be pushing your notes up and down as your pressure on the bridge varied). It might also be bad for your hand not to have it floating (I know this is the case with typing).

#5 - Hey, I bet you can cut them shorter than the ends of your fingers if you try! :twisted: Really, I think it'd make things easier on you, but if you can't you can't...

Best of luck,

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Habits #1 through #4 - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's comfortable for you, and it's working, then why change a winning formula? We've all got habits that work for us, but that other people might deem bad technique. Seems the most common one around here is the thumb-over-the-fretboard - I have to play barre chords like that if I'm playing for any length of time.

The fingernails, though, I'd do something about - I keep mine as short as humanly possible on the fretting hand and as long as I can on my picking hand. That's my preference, though. Then again - ever seen Dolly Parton play guitar?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member

+1 for what Vic Lewis and Voidious said. The only thing I might try to fix is the pick, it might be a bit hard on you later on with Hybrid picking and stuff, but I'm no expert so I don't know sure.

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

About the thumb over the fretboard thing, I too only do that while doing "certain" chords, and never when plucking single notes :D

I actually tried to make my fingernails short as humanely possible before. When it was at the point where both were equal... my fingernail bled...

It'll help only I get dead skin to pile up from active practice right?
(I have long pointy fingers measuring around 4 inches each excepct pinky which is around 3 in.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

I use heavy picks also. I don't think the pick guage is an issue. I know guys who play with heavy picks and only heavy picks that can play anything. It is your personal preference.

I also play with the guitar between my thies and have never had an instructor tell me not to do it and have seen a few others play that way. I am just like you it feels odd to rest the guitar on my right thie. Excuse my spelling if thie is spelled wrong :) Like Vic said if it aint broken don't fix it.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

We all have "bad" habits, you'll even notice some very famous players doing things that you may have been told a wrong. I'd like to think that I've developed my own style, and that I'm not just a clone (I may be a clown, but not a clone).

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Habit # 2: I hold my guitar BETWEEN my thighs, not on the right thigh like everyone else I know. I find much more comfort playing this way but should I swich?

Classical guitarists play like that, it's not a big deal really, I guess you could call it the "traditional" position, they rest part of the guitar on their left leg instead of the right. I say that if it works better for you than I don't see a problem.

Habit # 5: My fingernails are naturally very girly and are long than the flesh even when fully cut, so I have to hold down more strings than needed.

Classical guitarists use long fingernails on their picking hand actually, so it may prove helpful (unless they're on your fretting hand). So in my opinion your habits aren't necessarily bad, depending on what you play.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Habit # 1: I use three fingers on my pick. It helps me control the pick better and I use thumb on one side and index/middle on the other side.

Slightly limiting; it will keep you from doing any tapping, and it restricts you to the ring finger only for hybrid picking. But if you stick to styles that don't use tapping or hybrid picking, it's not a big deal.

Don't switch. The classical position keeps the neck at a good angle - you're actually avoiding bad habits. The only reason this position might affect your playing is if your arms are too short to reach the first fret.
Habit # 3: I tend to use much heavier picks than the people around me. I even strum with an heavy pick.

Also not a bad habit. I use heavy picks for everything, as do most pros.
Habit # 4: I tend to rest my palm on the bottom of the bridge for faster palm muting when needed.

That's only a problem if you do it all the time (then it limits your range of tones). If you do it only for palm muting, you're making a choice based on the technique and tone you want.

This one's a bit of a problem. Pressing too hard will wear your frets faster, and inhibits speed. Maybe see a manicurist and find out how you can get them shorter?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote