5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 tree
(@tree)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,
I remember a few months ago, an article on exercises to prevent injury appeared in one of the acoustic guitar magazines (Acoustic Guitar World maybe). A couple weeks ago I had some problems with my wrist, so I searched my apartment for the magazine, but was unable to find it... I'm not having any wrist problems anymore, but I was wondering if anybody had advice on injury prevention exercises?
Thanks,
--rk

so many places that are hard to see
so many places that aren't
so many places we want to be
so many times we are not

(@mr-mudd)
Eminent Member

beginning playing guitar is like lifting weights, your always going to be sore at first. Just keep playing, your muscles will get stronger.

Ed

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Without going into too much detail, I always stretch, message and worm-up before playing. Start with some slow scales and build up the tempo. Then I do some extroeme bends hammers and pulls and chord changes. I just make sure my hands are loose and wormed-up.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
 tree
(@tree)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks both for the advice. I usually warm-up with some simple scales and fingerpicking patterns, but I'll add the stretching and massage in there, too.
I've been playing guitar for quite awhile, but with college going right now I sometimes am not able to practice as much as I'd like to... so I sometimes go from only playing for a few hours over a two-week period to playing 3-5 hours in a day when I get the time.
I think warming the wrist up with some stretching and massage beforehand should help a lot with this.
Thanks

so many places that are hard to see
so many places that aren't
so many places we want to be
so many times we are not

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

One of those hand exercisers would work while you're away from your guitar. I "re-discovered" mine the other day and I can feel the difference already. Great tool!!!

If you don't know what I mean, I'll post a pic when I get home.

Edit: Here it is. It really does help. I use it for both hands.

ReplyQuote