Notifications
Clear all

Hard to press down strings

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@frankieabbott)
Topic starter  

I've been playing accoustic guitar for around a year and still have problems playing some Barre chords. Especially the F major chord on first fret. So much so that I always look to play chords that dont need some part of its fingering on first fret. I have tuned my guitar down a tone also. Makes pressing the strings a little easier...Ok for now because I just play to myself. I am starting to get a bit bolder and just place my fingers randomly on the frets to see what sounds they make.....then try to work out what chords they form.

(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

First welcome to the forum.
Hope you have had a look at some of the lessons available, a lot of questions can be answered there.

When I started with acoustic I switched to extra light strings, that let me practice longer without so much pain, might let you barre with less pressure. If your guitar has not been set up by a guitar tech the action my be high requiring you to press harder to get your barre down. You can check it yourself with instructions from the web. Another thing I have seen is putting a capo up the neck at the 4th or 5th fret. that makes it easier because the frets are closer so not so much of a stretch. I also play tuned down 1/2 a step to fit with a lot of the songs I sing.

As far as fretting random chords and then figuring them out seems like a good idea, you might pick up some theory that way.

Remember those three terrible words. Practice, practice, practice.
Best of luck

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@frankieabbott)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. I think my guitar is set up as well as it could be. The gap between my low E string and the body fret (fret 16) is about 3 mm. And I have done that check where you put capo on first fret and press the low 3 string at the body fret.....and the gap at fret7 is about one mililitre. Reading stuff on the net suggests this is ok. I might try lighter strings. Might just stick a light top e string (the thinnest one) as this is the hardest to press on the first fret.

ReplyQuote
(@frankieabbott)
Topic starter  

Ok. So have put a lighter top e string on guitar. It does seem to play better/ easier to press string. But something has happened with tuning. The fretted notes on the first 2 frets on e string play sharp. As a 'trade off' I have to tune the string a little flat . So D major chord played on the second fret seems ok.....but open e string sounds a little flat when I play E Maj or A Maj.

ReplyQuote