Clear all

harmonic

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@quicksand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok ive never tried until today, but how do you make a harmonic sound?

Like instead of playing a regular note, its a harmonic note.

(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Most guitarists pick the note, then lightly touch the string with the side of thier thumb somewhere around the neck pickup. That's for an artificial harmonic. You can try different spots till you get it to ring out.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

That's one way -- you can also keep your finger off the fretboard, laying it gently against the string in the same position as if you were fretting a note and as you strum pop the finger off letting the note ring. You want to time it so both the strum/popping is simultaneous.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

That's one way -- you can also keep your finger off the fretboard, laying it gently against the string in the same position as if you were fretting a note and as you strum pop the finger off letting the note ring. You want to time it so both the strum/popping is simultaneous.

Just to add to Clockworked's post. Those 'natural' harmonics occur at frets: 4, 5, 7 9 & 12 - (plus the equivalent frets beyond the 12th).

The harmonic at fret 12 is by far the most common and is at the same pitch as the 12th fret note.

The 7th fret harmonic is the next most important and is pitched an octave higher than the fretted note.

Then follows the fourth fret harmonic which is two octaves higher than the open string

Finally, the much rarer 4th and 9th fret harmonics, which are the same and sound two octaves higher than the fourth fret note.

There are others - but they're rarely, if ever, used.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I use pinch harmonics ...... you can get a pinch harmonic on any fret.

Pinch harmonics are produced by holding the pick so just the very tip protrudes through your fingers. When you pic the note the meaty part of your thumb touches the string. There are certain nodes where this will work best. To find them, measure 5 frets from the note you are fretting up towards the bridge. Take this distance and measure it up from the bridge towards the neck. This should be where the sweet spot is. For practical purposes though, once you get the picking technique down, don't measure. You will get used to where you need to do this for certain parts of the neck and going by feel is the best. I was doing this way before I knew about the 5 fret formula and was just getting by on happy accidents.

If you want an example of this type of harmonic listen to ZZ Top. I learned this from a Billy Gibbons lesson in Guitar World some time ago. He said he doesn't measure either but rather goes by feel.

P.S. If you want to be technical, this is like a 24th fret harmonic :lol: If you have a 24 fret guitar and measure 5 frets from the nut, take that distance and measure up from the bridge you will be on the 24th fret. This is why the 5 fret formula works.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@quicksand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok yeah i meant pinch harmonics sorry for my newbness. And yeah i figured it out now thanks trguitar

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool! Glad I could help.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kickinstonesblu)
Trusted Member

Good question QS... i'm new too and never had it laid out in front of me logically before.
i'm having the feeling that for a while all i'm going to be able to contribute is saying thanks to these guys. Thanx

KSblu

If I don't remember it....It didn't happen

ReplyQuote