Notifications
Clear all

Harmonica

26 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Lee Oskar harps are good, if you want inexpensive though, you can't beat the Hohner Big River.

Stay away from Marine band until you are a pro.

Look for harps that have plastic, replaceable combs. The wood lets more air leak and swells as it gets wet.

Nick

ReplyQuote
(@doc-hollywood)
Eminent Member

As a blues harp player I can make a few recommendations.

If you are just starting out I suggest that you get a few different harps. Most of us players play in second position. A "C" & "A" harp will probably be the ones you will use the most. That will get you playing in the key of "G" & "E"

I have played many harps and I personally like the Special 20 by Hohner for most playing. The Hering Vintage 1920's are really good to and becoming one of my favorites. Thje Special 20 has a plastic comb and the Vintage 1920's are wooden. Probably better made than the Marine Bands by Hohner.

If you get serious about playing Harp you will need to tune your harps.

Blow easy and really practice your scales. If you want to learn how to play well and want some good material to learn from, you can't beat the material from David Barrett's Harmonica Masterclass Series. I have his books and videos and have even taken the 3 day masterclass in San Jose.

Here's a link to his website.

http://www.harmonicamasterclass.com/index.html

Good luck and if you need some more info message me.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey Doc Hollywood, check out that Big Road Blues link above, if you haven't already.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all for the suggestions. I must say now that I read all this it seems somewhat disguisting about all this spit involved with playing this instrument.

Well I'll go to my local shop and check out what they've got. Im guessing this is the kind of instrument you cant try out before you buy huh?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

While you won't be able to play unless you buy, it is important to make sure all the reeds (notes) work properly. Most music stores that sell harmonicas have a bellows-like device for doing this. Check every note on blow and draw.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

There's a healthy amount of spit involved in playing any wind instrument. Harmonicas aren't really that bad.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My parents never knew how much spit my trumpet "left" on their carpets.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Hey that's condensation, not spit! :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's some of both.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

... and depending upon which "spit" valve, some valve oil too.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@doc-hollywood)
Eminent Member

Not much spit in playing the harmonica.

Most of the you inhale or suck.

Most players just suck.

Someone once said that the harmonica is the one instrument that is most widely played and is also the one that people don't do it justice.

If B.B. King can take a single note and play it many different ways to make the guitar sing. A great harmonica can do the same thing with his or her breath and tongue.

The secret is in the chops.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2