Notifications
Clear all

Harmonics=hard

39 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member

It takes a little practice to get that "on demand". But if you have somewhat heavy gain on your amp, it get's pretty easy to do. I have a tendency to choke up on the pick when I play. Almost as if I'm playing with my thumb. So I end up having to try to stay away from the pinch harmonics. The long haired freaky person inside of me screams....Hey that's cool, don't stop! But then I realize that a lead that is all pinch harmonics can get pretty boring after 2 or 3 notes. 8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Blu,

I know what you mean that's what caught my ear on the Judas Priest song. the solo is very short it's only like 20 secs or so and the squeling harmonics is just enough anymore and it would be old...and I don't even like JP that much but for some reason I love the sound of that solo

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Geez...I'm almost sorry I brought this thing up to the floor! In fact, I never even THOUGHT of just HOW it is I do it, myself. So, okay...I'll explain Cat's method.

Holding your guitar with the pick hand over the strings you'll see that it's only the line of your thumb and edge of palm directly in line with your thumb that's pointing toward your nut (the one on the guitar, wise guy!). Naturally, your fingers will be askew, kind of perpendicular to the way the strings go.

As you pick, let the meat of that bit of palm behind your thumb tip off the string after it's been plucked...for only like a billionth of a second!...like you do with your fingertips on the chimes you get over the frets. Pick harder than usual.

Hope this helps!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Just to reinforce what Cat said you do need to pick harder than normal

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

"What good are harmonics played this way, anyway?

What's too much, what's too little?

Other than some few verses...mostly for the best EQing of some studio background noise...eh?

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've gotten pretty good with harmonics now, just wish they would be louder. Maybe through a electro acoustic

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i dont suppose this is going to be of any help, but i used to struggle with pinch harmonics - a lot. But since i started using a line 6 pod 2.0, they seem to be so easy on certain settings (sweet child o mine setting).

I dont know why, my technique hasnt improved (as i dont practice pinch harmonics), but they require absolutely no effort with this little pod. its a miracle!

i also find without the pod that the bridge pickup definately helps. :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

YESTERDAY I was stuck on the M-1 behind a wreck. I was in my wife's Prado...and pushed in the CD that I saw sticking out of the player. It was a Gary Rossington retrospective. (He's the guit-guy in Lynnrd Skynnrd...Rossington-Collins Band...and guhzillions of Muscle Shoals studio session works.) Immediately, I thought it best to post the following info on GN.

"The Call Me The Breeze"..."Saturday Night Special"...and "Sweet Home Alabama" have 100% (no! 200%) of each and every type of pinched-off harmonics you could possibly wish for. In fact, it's a GREAT tuteledge if you are serious about understanding them!

I'm surprised at how integrated his techniques are...best I've heard. Some are blatantly "in yer face" but most, however, are somewhat muted and you'd be excused to think that it was a "board move" that got that sound. Nope! It's him.

There be good fingers on THIS guy! :D

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member

Saw this thread linked in another post and thought I should post a quick follow-up.

I eventually, and accidentally, did get a pinch harmonic when I had my pick turned the wrong way. Instead of pointy-side-down, I was holding it with one of the long triangle edges parallel to the strings, and just the tip of my thumb was overlapping the edge. I almost corrected myself before I realized what I had done. :shock:

Now that I found something that works, I can get at least a little bit of harmonic about 75% of the time when I try, but only on the 1 & 2 (& occasionally 3) strings. It just doesn't seem to happen on the wound strings, or else it's so subtle I can't pick it up. I'm guessing it's supposed to be harder on the 4-6 strings, but maybe you don't really need harmonics there if you can get them higher up?

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3