Skip to content
Hello, like to intr...

Notifications
Clear all

Hello, like to introduce myself, and I need advice please.

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I'm a 18 year old living in Toronto and I've been reading these forums for quite some time now. In fact, I made a post 3 years ago about whether or not I should purchase an acoustic guitar.

Before I go onto anything else I should brief about my playing history. Since the day I purchased my Yamaha 310 guitar, I've learned the very basics of playing. (switching chords, scales, strumming, barring , etc.)

I also received a Yamaha C40 classical last christmas, and have tried to learn a bit of flamengo. (Although the only song I can play well is Classical Gas :oops: )

The problem that I am faced with is, I feel that I my taste in music has changed drastically throughout the years. I began from playing/listening pop songs, to mellow accoustic songs, to nu/classic rock.
I have also been a jazz fan for a long time, but I do find it difficult to play Jazz on my accoustic.

So this is why I am contemplating on whether or not I should get an electric guitar.

Three questions that I have are:

1) Do you think having accoustic experience will make my electric guitar transition easier?

2) Does anyone have experience or have knowledge of J & D (Jack and Denny) Guitars? Because I went to small store today and saw a few of the those.

3) Does anyone have any recommendations of quality ranging from >$250 Cnd >$190 US?

Thank you everyone in advice and your help is really appreciated!

(@matthew)
Trusted Member

Well, welcome back I guess bltc

I'm probably just as new to guitar as you, if not more. Sounds like you're in about the same spot. But I might be able to help you out with your "Will acoustic help my transition" question.

I play acoustic; I take my lessons in acoustic, practice in acoustic. But my brother has a cheapo JT electric he got a few years ago and never plays. So I steal it here and then to give some of my acoustic things a try on it. I find I can play 1/2 decently. I hold the strings down too hard, when I bend I go too far, and I strum way too hard (all because the strings are SO much lighter). But, I know if I did want to learn electric I'm already well on my way, so I defiantly say yes.

The weird difference between the two I've noticed at my level is that with an acoustic you try to get your chords and notes to ring longer. But, with electric, you're constantly shortening things because an amp will let them ring forever. Also, because of that, I tend to play barre cords much more because they are easier to mute. It's a different feel for sure, even though a lot does translate between.

As for the others, *shrugs* good luck =)

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@accessdenied01)

Welcome!

I don't know anything about the Jack and Denny or danny hehe I dunno but I think the transition from acoustic to electric wont be difficult at all. I think investing in an electric is a good idea for you if you're into playing jazz and blues. I'd probably go w/ a Squier to get you started, they're usually pretty well priced and you can get a starter pack. I dont remember the exact price range. Don't go with a first act though. Eh.

Good Luck!

Shut up N play yer guitar-Frank Zappa
lol
-Ashley

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you look at almost all of the great jazz guitar players, they play archtop f-hole acoustics with pickups - Gibson (e.g. ES 135), Gretsch, Guild, etc.

If you look around the internet and enter "jazz guitar" into google, you'll invariably come up with the same basic style. So don't panic about the transition from acoustic to electric, because you're already half way to the jazz world.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Great!
Thanks for the responses so far.
And oops on the Jack and Danny. :oops:

Thanks Matthew for you input, its great to know that theres someone in a similar position as me.

But I have a question on a specific guitar:

How do you guys feel about the yamaha EGP112 that comes in the Costco pack?

Is it a decent guitar? I find it very intriuging to have a $200 package that comes with a guitar, apractice amp and a case.

And if i do purchase this starter kit, would upgrading the pickups help it sound better?

Thanks again people for your previous responses, I really appreciate your time and opinion!

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

Well I think I can help you with the transition from acoustic guitar to electric guitar.

I played nothing but acoustic guitar for about the first 8 months I played. And to tell you the truth, the transition from acoustic to electric was not hard at all. I can tell you this. You most likely will break a string-just because you really don't have to beat on an electric guitar as much as you would an acoustic guitar. Also fingering chords are a little bit easier and you do not have to push down so hard. You'll also find that Barre chords are the way to go when you are on an electric. Even with a really clean sound, barre chords tend to sound better that open position chords on an electric guitar (I know that I am most likely going to get some flak for that...oh well).

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Totally off topic.

Just for a gun enthusiast

Flak - FLug Abwehr Kanone (literally flight defence cannon).

**Return to topic **

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@fretzky)
Eminent Member

Make sure that you play the specific guitar that you are buying. Quality varies even within the same model.
I have played acoustic for about 15 months before I got my electric. I share Matthew's experience, in that an acoustic player tends to fret harder, thus, bringing chords out of tune (on an electric). Acoustic guitars seem more controllable, because you don't have to consider the amp, and its effect on the sound. Also, as audioslaveaddict has pointed out, acoustic players tend to strum harder. The electric, with its lighter strings, will require a softer touch; but will also allow you to do cleaner barre chords, especially at the higher frets.

Getting an electric will add to your musical experience. Go for it.

Geoff

ReplyQuote
(@fretzky)
Eminent Member

off topic
I also received a Yamaha C40 classical last christmas, and have tried to learn a bit of flamengo. (Although the only song I can play well is Classical Gas )

If you can play Classical Gas, I am impressed!
:D

Cheers,
Geoff

resume topic

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You'll have no trouble with an electric after a week or two. It just takes some adjusting. A starter pack is a good idea if you're strapped for cash, but I don't know about the model you mention. Play it first! In the meantime, put a little more work into that acoustic jazz. Works great!

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm intriuged of the Yamaha Costco starter pack. It appears to be a pretty good deal, guitar, strap, and amp for $200.

But I'm a bit hesitant on it simply because I'm not sure the Yamaha EG-112PR is a guitar that I can grow with.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

The electric, with its lighter strings, will require a softer touch;

Simple solution. Get heavier strings. I tend to get electric strings on the heavier side of medium.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote