Clear all

Help

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have been doing david hodges lesson theory wihout tears but i have become stuck on one part. I understand up till this part.

The first three notes are whole steps, followed by a half step, then three more whole steps and then a final half step (remember that each fret on the guitar is a half step). Using the key of C (as pictured), the scale is as follows
I II III IV V VI VII VII
do re mi fa sol la te do
C D E F G A B C

But then i dont understan how u r supposed to no all these half steps are there as shown below

We know that there are other half steps lurking in there as well. If we were to write them in, the scale would look like this:
I II III IV V VI VII VIII
C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A Bb B C

If u can explain how this is worked it it would b a great help

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Take a look at a piano keyboard. There is no sharp/flat between B and C and between E and F. It is just the nature of the beast.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Yep, just memorize it. You can see it laid out on the keyboard above, guitar's the same as you move up a string.

Perhaps Tom Serb (Noteboat) can give you an explanation as to how western music ended up with the naming conventions it did. But I'm not sure you really want that much detail :D You certainly don't need it.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What you are looking at is a Major scale.
The steps are WWHWWWH no matter what key you play in (assuming you start with the Root note)
Ignor all notes not in the progression.
Lets say you start with A
WWHWWWH
A,B,C#,D,E,F#,G#,A
Remember you need one of each note.
Try it starting with Ab
WWHWWWH
Ab,Bb,C,Db,Eb,F,G,Ab
Try it with some other keys.
Edit: The first 2 steps are whole steps not the first 3.

ReplyQuote