Notifications
Clear all

Help!

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dobby69)
Topic starter  

Hi, my name is Kai and I started playing acoustic guitar a little while ago. I'm having alot of difficulty strumming (I get my fingers caught up and it produces awful sound). Do you have any advice?

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Kai,

Read and study to lessons in the main site. The Easy Songs for Beginners section includes several lessons for strumming.

And practice. :D

Welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Welcome, Kai.
What Nuno said and:
I'd advise practicing a simple chord, like an open E that uses all 6 strings and play DUDU with an exaggerated strumming motion. Let your arm go almost straight at the end of the down strum and almost hit yourself on the chin on the up strum. That'll wire the freedom of motion you need to strum.
Once you can play all 6 strings in what sounds like a single 'chime', especially on the downstrokes, tighten up your strumming arc and introduce some variety: DDUDU.
Once you can do that, try it with chords that don't use all the strings (like an open A).
Sorry, no easy fix. It's called technique; it takes time! It's fun though.
Best of luck.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Are you using a pick or strumming with your fingers?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dobby69)
Topic starter  

Are you using a pick or strumming with your fingers?

I'm trying both.

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

If you're having problems strumming with a pick, maybe if you tried a thinner pick it might help? Or maybe you have too much of the pick sticking out past your fingers ??

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Dobby is only 15 so has no idea how to stroke the strings with FEELING. Also he is too cool for a guitar teacher, that is "conformist".
And he is not forced to babysit his sisters as much as he thinks :twisted:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@dobby69)
Topic starter  

Dobby is only 15 so has no idea how to stroke the strings with FEELING. Also he is too cool for a guitar teacher, that is "conformist".
And he is not forced to babysit his sisters as much as he thinks :twisted:

Uhh.... dude I think u got the wrong dobby lol

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Sometimes when you are watching TV, I suggest you hold your guitar, mute the strings by lightly resting your fretting hand across all strings and just strum with a thin pick. You can try thicker ones later when you are more used to strumming.

There are many important aspects of strumming that a beginner would normally not be aware of, such as emphasising the fist and third beats, selection of which strings you are hitting, muting, partial strumming, etc.

It will come in time, just keep at it.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@dobby69)
Topic starter  

ok, thanks!

ReplyQuote