Notifications
Clear all

help about major chords

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@snare)
Topic starter  

hello there it's been a long time since i posted here but as i req help so coming to th epoint.In one of my previous topics i was taught that to construct a major scale u have the WWhWWWh step formula so G major scale would be
G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G
and being a triad the notes for the G major chord will be
G-B-D i.e 1-3-5
but knowing the basics isn't the way we play a G chord as follows:-

e --3-----
b---------
g---------
d---------
a--2-----
E--2----
and by that formula the notes are G-B-G

confusing for me!!! :( could anyone clear it out?

http://www.mekaalhasanband.com/sampooran/media.htm <---- Mekaal The True definition of a Musician.

(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

e --3-----
b---------
g---------
d---------
a--2-----
E--2----

First off, the note on the low E string should be fretted at the third fret, giving you you're low G - root. Then keep in mind that you are playing all six strings in this case, so while you have fretted notes G-B-G as you indicated, the open strings are playing D-G-B. The whole chord in this case is G-B-D-G-B-G - you've doubled up on every note but the D.

Clear as mud ?

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Here's the scale:

G A B C D E F# G

the 1 = G, 3 = B 5 = D

A common way of playing the open G chord is as follows:

e----3 (G)
B----O (B)
G----O (G)
d----O (D)
A----2 (B)
E----3 (G)

The left column is the string, the middle the fret (O=open) and the letter in parentheses the note that sounds.

The G is the root note of the chord and should typically also be the bass note. That's why you would typically choose to play a G on the sixth string.

Hope that helps.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@snare)
Topic starter  

e --3-----
b---------
g---------
d---------
a--2-----
E--2----

sorry there i mistyped that it's a 3-2-3 formation...sorry abt that.but by pressing the third fret on the high E 2nd on the A and 3rd again on the low E...That gives me notes while the rest of the strings are open as...
G-B-G-D-B-G
now this would make a G chord with high E A and low E fretted on 3-2-3 respectively i still dint get the 1 3 5 part :S could anyone gimme his email on hotmail or msn who's online so that i could get this cleared ..:(...sorry but am a noobe hence req help thanks again!!

http://www.mekaalhasanband.com/sampooran/media.htm <---- Mekaal The True definition of a Musician.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Okay, I think I know what you're asking. If my answer doesn't fit, it means I misunderstood the question.

Yes, a major chord is built of three notes --

• the first or root note of the scale
    the third note of the scale
    the fifth note of the scale
  • And the notes in order for the scale of G are:

G A B C D E F# G
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

So to play a G chord, I need G (root) B (3rd) and D (fifth)

So you play the root note (G) in this instance on the lowest string - fret 3 of the low E.. The root is typically the bass note. Think root, think low. After that, it doesn't matter where you find the third and fifth notes. In this case, the third happens to be on the fifth string when you fret the second fret. And then the open D gives you the fifth. And the open G repeats the G but in a different octave. And the open B repeats the B in a different octave. And the G on the high e repeats the G in yet another octave. That makes a full rich chord.

If, on the other hand, you had decided to play only the open D string, the open G, and the open B, you still would have played a G chord, though the root note was no longer the bass note. And if you and played only the bottom three strings -- G on the low E, B on the A, and open D, it still would have been a G chord.

There are many ways to skin a cat on the guitar and many different voicings for chords.

Have I made this better or worse?

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
    (@snare)
    Topic starter  

hmm, the G major scale is

G A B C D E F# G

1st note root = G
    3rd note = B
    5th note = D

thas what should make upa G chord right? :shock:
    then while playing ith 3-2-3 formation it comes out G-B-G
    and if taking into considertaion that im playing the open strings as well the whole thing becomes
    G-B-G-D-B-G

thus should i play G-B-D fretted or am i handling the formation correctly with 3-2-3 thingie.secondly if either one is correct what about the other one?...

ReplyQuote
    (@musenfreund)
    Illustrious Member

G A B C D E F# G

1st note root = G
    3rd note = B
    5th note = D

and if taking into considertaion that im playing the open strings as well the whole thing becomes
    G-B-G-D-B-G

thus should i play G-B-D fretted or am i handling the formation correctly with 3-2-3 thingie.secondly if either one is correct what about the other one?...

Nope. It comes out G B D G B G

Look at the map:

Because you do also (and must play the open strings), it's a G chord. If you only played the first, fifth and Sixth strings, it would not a G.

So it's a G because you play all six strings.
    Did that clear it up?

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
    (@noteboat)
    Illustrious Member

The chord formula 1-3-5 tells you what notes are in the chord (G-B-D). If you have a chord fingering that contains all of those notes - and no other notes - it's a G major chord, no matter how many times each of those notes might appear.

With the open chord fingering, you're playing the D, G, and B strings open - the notes (bass to treble) are G-B-D-G-B-G. Since each of those is in the G major formula, it's a G major chord.

You can make other chord fingerings by playing the notes in different places, or by leaving out some of the strings. The alternate chord fingerings will be different voicings of the G chord... but they'll all be G chords if they contain G-B-D.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
    (@snare)
    Topic starter  

G A B C D E F# G

1st note root = G
    3rd note = B
    5th note = D

G-B-G-D-B-G

Nope. It comes out G B D G B G

Look at the map:

Because you do also (and must play the open strings), it's a G chord. If you only played the first, fifth and Sixth strings, it would not a G.

So it's a G because you play all six strings.
    Did that clear it up?
    taking ur reply into considertaion you've told me according tothe map of fretboard to start from the top that makes it a G-B D G B G and that makes sense according to the 1 3 5 system of notes!! :)
    so one has to start considering the notes from the low E rather the topmost string of the guitar right?...lols i was foolish enough to have it the other way round by High E then B....that gave me a G B G D B G...am i right now?:O

ReplyQuote
    (@musenfreund)
    Illustrious Member

I think so. You build a chord from the root note (the 1), and that's typically also the bass note. So build from the bass strings. But after the bass note, all that matters is that the other notes of the chord appear. The order in which the other notes of the chord appear doesn't matter.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote