Notifications
Clear all

Help after 12 bar blues.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@myuhas42)
Topic starter  

So I just recently got an epiphone special les paul for christmas. Im a 31 yr old guitarist with anout 3 or 4 months of practice on an acoustic. I've just come around to really focus my practice on the blues.

Could anyone recommend me some songs that would be a good place for a player at my level. I can move fairly fluently through most beginner chords and am working on e, a, and d power chords along with a7, e7 and b7. Beginning to work on some soloing which is so nice on electric.

What are some skills I should be focusing on? I just sometimes feel lost so I try to widdle it down as much as I can. Sometimes it does feel overwhelming, but I do know I just have to keep plugging away and am always impressed with how my skills keep growing. Not trying to shamelessly plug myself. Just feels nice to keep moving. So anyway any guidance or links to good teachers that offer free lessons online would be great. Thanks yall.

(@alangreen)

Learn the open position chords - C, A, G, E and D and Am, Dm and Em.

Then get lead sheets with the chord sequences for your 10 favourite songs and see how many of them you can pay with just those open position chords. Let us know how it goes.

My students start with Breakdown ~(Jack Johnson - C, Em, Am G) and Rhinestone Cowboy (D, G, A, E - yes E, not Em) from the Trinity Rock syllabus Initial Grade book.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@myuhas42)
Topic starter  

Ok I can try that out and post my findings back. I notice sometimes I get stuck in a rut of plauing whats comfortable instead of a challenge. So I need to getoit of my comfort zone. Im finding thats much easier on my electric. Ill report back once I try that out.

ReplyQuote