Notifications
Clear all

Help, beginner here!

18 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

Hi! I'm very much a new guy at guitars, too, having gotten my first guitar (also my first musical instrument) just a couple of months ago. It's a cutaway acoustic, made by "Palmer," an inexpensive, nice looking and decent playing (to my uneducated ears) steel-string acoustic. It is tough to learn on, but it is very much possible, if my ability to make some recognizable sounds after only a few months is anything to go by. Plus, as others have said, once you learn on the tougher acoustic, moving to electric ought to be relatively easy, while people I know who learned on electric have told me that trying to move to an acoustic was a nightmare.

Take it from another new guy, it's possible, and you don't have to go nuts and spend a fortune to get something that will allow you to make some pretty noises. Pick the guitar that had a nice feel for you, and have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@musicfreak14)

Hola
I'm gunna have to disagree with some of you on this one.
I say get the more expensive steel-string acoustic. (the PS3 can wait, guitars are way more fun! :D )
(do what I did, play it for 10 minutes 3 or so times a day, that way you'll fingers won't hurt too bad)

My reasoning:
I've found it incredibly frusterating to be a beginner and have to learn on some cheapo guitar that's doesn't sound decent. In my opinion having a better sounding guitar will really make you want to play guitar instead of having to struggle even more than nessisary to get the right sound.

and if for some totally CRAZY reason you decide guitar isn't for you...well...then just sell it back off, it'll still be in good condition (probably) and you'll probably get most of you money back. (or maybe I'd buy it from u, I could use a new acoustic :P )

that's just my opinion though.

Happy hunting and good luck!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Everyone here has some good advice. Let me add one more thing: of the three shops you went to, only one of them didn't sound like they were taking you for a ride:
I then went to another store and he showed me a solid wood top Yamaha acoustic guitar for $250, and told me it was not possible to find an acoustic guitar with solid wood top for lower than $250.

It's not impossible, but it's pretty unlikely. At least that shop didn't say anything COMPLETELY ridiculous.

Avoid the other two, especially the one that said it would take years to learn to play an acoustic - Hogwash. I started playing guitar at age 38 (on an Electric) and bought a steel-string acoustic three months later. Granted, it's harder to play than the electrics, but I can play it just fine.

As for buying a guitar ---

- Choose a good brand: Fender, Takamine, Ovation, Yamaha, Epiphone, etc.
- Find one that's comfortable to play, or at least to hold.
- Take someone with you who plays guitar.
- Don't worry so much about solid tops, there are some fine laminate top models out there, more likely to fit your price range.

If you don't have a guitar-playing friend or a non-insane salesperson to help, I'd suggest you find something specific online. Here's a starting point:

Takamine Jasmine S35
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jasmine-by-Takamine-S35-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516451

Squier (Fender) SP1
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-SP1-Parlor-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512079

These are both "starter models" from good companies, both under $100. They won't be amazing but they'll be playable.

If you can spend more, do. That $250 Yamaha is probably a great guitar, I've played most of the low-end Yamahas and haven't found a dud yet. If you spend $250 or $300 you could easily get a guitar that will last you much longer than a PS3. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2