Notifications
Clear all

Help buying strings???

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@azazel)
Topic starter  

Whats up everyone? i'm about to go get some acoustic gutiar strings but i dont know a thing about strings other then they make music and break easy so if there are any string thats would help a newbie or just sound better, please let me know and how much the cost, thanks :twisted:

In Darkness We Gather

(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Get Ernie Ball Super Slinkies. The ones in the pink package. If I am correct they are acoustic electric strings.

ReplyQuote
(@jmaikos)
Eminent Member

I prefer D'Addarios, but have also liked elixir. You should know that strings come in different size gauges and different materials.

As for size, usually you can choose from extra light to medium (sometimes stores carry heavy). I prefer the medium gauge because I feel it gives a very full sound. Heavier strings have more tension and are harder to play on (at first). I do think they make a fuller tone than thinner strings. Some people suggest lighter strings for beginners because it is easier on the finger tips. Other people like lighter stings for bending, etc...It's all about preference, so you probably have to experiment with as many types as possible. You can ask the sales rep at the store for advice.

As for string material, for an acoustic guitar there are many types from Phospher-Bronze strings, Bronze Strings, Coated strings, Silk and Steel Strings. I'm sure there are many more than I've listed. Each type will produce a different sound. Some will sustain their tone longer than others. Again, it's your preference.

Keep in mind that your guitar has probably been setup for the string size currently on it. If you put a heavier strings on the acoustic guitar (say from light to medium gauge) it places more tension on the neck and can cause the neck to bow, raising the action. This will probably require an adjusment or setup. So, perhaps you should experiment with different materials first, but at the same gauge as your current setup. Then, once you find the material of string you want, you can experiment with gauge size.

ReplyQuote
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member

I perfer DR Extra Life and the Dean Markley Alchemy strings they are both coated for protection from dirt and grim and are supposed to last a little longer. As a beginner myself I started with a .10 gauge string but I use .12 gauge now and I would recommend those but they might hurt a little worse.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Whats up everyone? i'm about to go get some acoustic gutiar strings but i dont know a thing about strings other then they make music and break easy so if there are any string thats would help a newbie or just sound better, please let me know and how much the cost, thanks :twisted:

If you asked 100 people, you'd get 100 answers mostly differant. T ry various strings until you find what you really like. I use Martin Silk&Steel on one guitar, D'Addario Bronze .12 on another, and D'Adarrio 10s on my travel guitar. Many acoustics are set up with .12s from the factory, so that would be a starting point on size, for a brand new beginner you could use 10s which are easier on the fingers or 11s. Be aware that if you change the size to much it won't sound right due to the grooves in the nut being to big. Also for a beginner Silk&Steel is easy on the fingertips.

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

Take the suggestions already on this thread, and buy a few different brands and types of strings. Then when it's time to re-string your guitar again, try a different set of strings and see how they feel and how they sound on your guitar. You just have to experiment and find what's best for you and your guitar! I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but that's the way it is.

ReplyQuote