Notifications
Clear all

Help! I can't use my pick!

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mayerfan70)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, I am looking for some real world advice about being consistent with my pick. I started playing last march 2008, and I have been finger strumming from the beginning. I am trying to learn how to evenly and consistently play with a pick and I am having a hard time with it twisting between my fingers, or hitting some strings harder than others when it shouldn't. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

(@tornadoalley)

Here's a link to a forum topic that my help you, and it has a picture if you want to scroll down a few posts.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43768

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right..." - Stewie Griffin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It just comes with practice. You can go to various sites to see pictures of how most people hold a pick but like anything else you need to hold it so it feels comfotable in your fingers.

having problems holding onto a pick is a very common problem so don't get too worried about it. Just keep practicing and strumming away and eventually you'll get it.

I used to drop my pick about every 3rd measure or so when i first started. I never thought I'd get used to it but it comes fairly quickly so don't give up.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

While you're practicing, try different picks, different brands, different thicknesses, materials. Finding one that really suits you can be a help.

Also experiment with your grip- different grips suit different people, playing styles, musical styles...

I tend to just use my fingers on acoustic, but if I use a pick, I tend to use a lighter one, holding more towards the base (plenty of pick sticking out). Lead and electric stuff, I choke up on it quite a bit (just the tip sticking out) and use a much thicker pick.

The best imaginable pick is, of course, the dunlop big stubby. (Entirely my opinion. But a strong one.)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@mayerfan70)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link and the good advice. I'll keep at it!

ReplyQuote