Clear all

HELP! No - not the Beatles HELP.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

A friend wants to play some songs with him this Saturday night, "in the Middle" CAPO'ed at the second fret, pretty easy, C,G and F (Barre).

The other one I can't figure out? "Get of my Cloud" by the Rolling Stones. He told me to CAPO at the 4'th Fret and the same chords, C, G and F (barre). It doesn't sound right? I'm trying to figure out how to tranpose to this Key (Gb - right?) The more I look at it he might have the CAPO on the wrong fret? Or maybe he had the chords wrong? He did a quick demo for me (like 15 seconds) and it sounded correct then? I can't figure this out?

TAB is the Key of E:
http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1606339

The guy is so busy I hate to bother him -

Any help is appreciated.

Bob Jessie

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You want to go to Gb? The song is tabbed in E. E-F-Gb=2 frets. So put the capo at the 2nd fret and play E-A-B.
If you want to use C-F-G chords put the capo at C-C#-D-D#-E-F-Gb=6th fret.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

That's right! I have the list of songs that he plays and the KEYS he plays them in. I forgot about that - and it says in the key of C. I need to figure this stuff (transposing) out! I don't think I'm going to be able to play this.... my timing is ALL wrong. I'll try.

Thanks,
Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Transposing is fairly simple: for every fret add a semitone to the chords. Let's take the C F G chords:

no capo: C F G
capo 1st fret: C# F# G#
capo 2nd fret: D G A
capo 3rd fret: D# G# A#
capo 4th fret: E A B

etc etc. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Turns out it was the 4'th fret? When I told him that his song list had it the key of "C" he doubled checked and explained to me that, yes, it should be at the 6'th fret, but, to make it sound like the record (sounds like David Hodge) put the capo on the 4'th fret.

I sat there and watched him play it (Get off of my Cloud) and it sounded good?

When I tried it I just wasn't getting the timing.....

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote