Notifications
Clear all

HELP ! tuning issue

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@buckfever)
Topic starter  

I bought a Ibanze rg three months ago. Last week I had the strings changed at a local shop to Ernie Ball 10/46.
Last night was the first time it need a slight adjustment. I can not tune it in. When i get the E and A set and work my way down , E & A have changed to a different note completely. and vise versa if i try the opposite way. I tried doing d and G first, but when i the G & D are way sharp. I can't get it even in the ball park. Using the screw adjustment at the back doesn't work either because it so far off that there just isn't enough adjustment in them. The same thing happens any ways if you get two stings set they have change by the time you finish. The guitar was tuning perfect before the string change. and the tuner is working properly.
I need some help, I a beginner to start with and don't really know nothing. The closet music shop is 80 miles away. Would like to resolve this before i have to spend $ on the gas $ at the shop and lost time at work $$.
Glenn

(@ftoppicker)

You have to tune your guitar atleast 3 times for the strings to stretch then it should stay in tune.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

New strings will take a day or two to sort themselves out - count yourself lucky; I play classical guitar and new nylon strings take a week.

With new strings, you get them sort-of-in-tune and then you need to give them a bit of a pull away from the fretboard to stretch them and get the tension sorted out. After a while they'll be fine.

If you change a whole set of strings in one go, then start tuning them up, there's an imbalance between the tension in the strings and the tension in the neck/ truss rod - that needs to even itself out and means you'll get the bottom E string in tune and by the time you've done the others the bottom E will be out.

There's nothing wrong with your guitar or the strings; all this is normal.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote