Clear all

Help with strings

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@day-tripper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

well I broke a string for the first time, and I need help finding out what gauge and everything i need for new strings on my acoustic guitar.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Take the guitar and broken string to any guitar store, they will be able to tell you what guage the strings are, make suggestions on what strings to buy and even show you how to put them on.
Win win situation all around.
Myself, I prefer .012s on my acoustics.

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

This is a fellow newbie talking.

You will get a LOT of answers about strings. There is no right or wrong answer. It's a very personal thing and it also depends on the particular guitar and the playing style.

About 4 months ago, I took my guitar (with one broken string) to a local Guitar Center and said give me some strings like I have on. WELL.....the guy said LOOKS LIKE MEDIUMS!!!

They were sealed in a package so I couldn't check them. At home I strung the 1st string and tried to play it and I said NO WAY. These strings were SOOOO much thicker than the ones I had on. I would have thought that this GC person would have known better.

I went back to the G.C. and asked for some lighter strings. The guy wanted to sell me LIGHTS now, instead of the mediums. I said GIVE ME THE EXTRA LIGHTS (fooled me once).

I like these strings. They are easier on fingers (of a newbie). The particular strings I got were D'Addario Phosphor Bronze X-Light EJ 15.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@day-tripper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

any recomendations for strings?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Elixer Polyweb's

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Elixer Polyweb's
I second that vote. Love my polywebs on my Taylor..

Thinking of trying them on my electrics.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Love my polywebs on my Taylor..

Yeah but, I have the 310 CE. :P

I have the poly's on my Ibanez PF series as well and can say, they can and do make a difference on any guitar.

It's all about the sound, 90% of that is your guitar itself and the other 10% is how comfortable you are with your strings.

Maybe 80/20 but, the above is my opinion.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Elixer Polyweb's
I second that vote. Love my polywebs on my Taylor..
Thinking of trying them on my electrics.
Third the Elixer's. I have them on my Taylor also, 210
Nils, I use them on my Carvin CC275 which is an electric acoustic, 2" think not 4 1/4" like the Taylor. They work great on the Carvin.

I use the custom lights as I like lighter guage strings. 11-52. I have also used the 13-53's on my Taylor. I thought the 13 were a bit thick and worked on my fingers. Mostly due to the fact that I use the Nanoweb electric 9's on my other electric. Here is a link to the strings http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/101517/

John M

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sure, rub it in that I have the cheap one :lol: :lol: I still love it but wish it did have the electrics. I think I will hold out for the T5

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I use the custom lights as I like lighter guage strings. 11-52. I have also used the 13-53's on my Taylor. I thought the 13 were a bit thick and worked on my fingers. Mostly due to the fact that I use the Nanoweb electric 9's on my other electric. Here is a link to the strings
I had been using the 12's on the 310 but just last week I put a set of 11's on and love them. Probably put 10's on my LP since that is whats on there now and see what they do.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The great thing about strings is that if you get 20 replies to your original post you'll get 32 different opinions on what's the best string. Ultimately, it's down to what the guitar likes.

I use D'Addario lights on the 12-string - they come as a 12 set and the bridge is a bit stressed so I can't use anything heavier, Rotosound yellows on the electric, Martin extra-lights on the Backpacker, and my Washburn accoustic likes Rotosound Country Gold 11's.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I second Mr. Greens assesment.
My dreadnought has a deep tone and Dean markley Alchemy strings really bring out the sound. Now on my cutaway acoustic, it has a brighter sound and I use Martin SP on it.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Sure, rub it in that I have the cheap one :lol: :lol: I still love it but wish it did have the electrics. I think I will hold out for the T5
The 210 is cheaper, but like you I like the sound. I would like to have the 412CE as I like the Grand Concert size. Now that T5 looks sweet. I am waiting for one to come in around here to try. I am courious as to how it sounds.

John M

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I am courious as to how it sounds.

T5 Video's

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Tracker, that was awesome! Thanks....... Guess I need to save a few $$ that is simular but different than my Carvin CC275

John M

ReplyQuote