Notifications
Clear all

Hey everybody!

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@acousticbeginner)
Topic starter  

As you can tell i'm new here and i am having trouble with the music notation. I jus dont understand what string you are supposed to play the beat on! I can under stand tabs but i dont know what string to play. Can anybody help me?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Madhouse.

Have you had a chance to look at A Guide to Tab Notation? It should answer your questions, I think.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@acousticbeginner)
Topic starter  

No i understand how to read tab but i dont understand when reading notes on music notation i dont know what string to play.

Like i read the article called timing is everything and it showed twinkle, twinkle little star and happy birthday in music notation and then in tab. I dont know what string to play the note on but in tabs i do. Do you get me?

ReplyQuote
(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

...Like i read the article called timing is everything and it showed twinkle, twinkle little star and happy birthday in music notation and then in tab. I dont know what string to play the note on but in tabs i do. Do you get me?

Sure, and that's the problem with standard Music notation. It shows you the notes to play and the rythm required - but it won't show you which string to play at which fret. That's where TAB comes in. If you want to learn to play music on guitar reading standard notation, your going to have to spend some time getting to know the fret board (which you should do anyway) and what notes are played where. You're also going to have to learn to plan ahead. You can play the same note on the guitar in 3 or 4 different places. Just where you should play a given note will depend upon what other notes are being played in the passage and where on the fretboard is most convenient to playing that grouping of notes. Pretty complex in my mind, especially if you're a beginner.

Personally, I'd stick with TAB and leave the standard notation for a while.

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

let's take the E note that is located in the top space of the musical staff for an example note. It could be played on the 1st string open position, the 2nd string 5th fret position, the 3rd string 9th fret position, the 4th string 14th fret position, or the 5th string 19th fret position. They all are the same note, playing any of them are correct, it just depends on which one is more practical to play depending on where you are playng on the fret board.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

This should help:

Rosetta Stone

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote