0 Likes
(@blackenedanger)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hh

"Into ruin, I am sinking, hostage of this nameless feeling!" - MetallicA

(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Sounds like you have a good head for problem solving...you already did exactly what I would have recommended first: slowing it down and analyzing your playing for potential problem spots. I would suggest two things

1) Play as slow as you can and really concentrate on keeping that pick from twisting. Don't worry about fretting or speed or anything else; just focus on what your pick is doing.

2) When you're picking, make sure that the motion is coming from your wrist (and maybe even a little bit from the elbow). Finger movement can be used in slower, more nuanced playing styles (eg: blues) to do exactly what you described: make scratchy/whiny/plucky sounds...good when you want it; bad when you're trying to learn.

Oh, and maybe one more thing. I'm guessing you ment 90 degree angle and that was just a typo...but just in case you're actually using a 45 degree picking angle, that's probably not where you want it...90 or something close to it is what I have always heard (and found works best). Hope some part of this is helpful. Best of Luck!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Are you holding the pick between your index finger and thumb? It is a lot easier to hit the strings a 90 degrees this way. If you have been holding it differently it might take a short while to feel natural.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

i use to have the same problem, i never could get it right using just my index finger and thumb. In the end holding my pick with index thumb and middle finger did the trick.

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote