Notifications
Clear all

Hi all - steel or nylon

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@andyobell)
Topic starter  

Hi all, as you can see i'm new to the site and have caught the guitar bug.

My girlfriend bought me a nylon string classical for xmas, since then cant get me away from it. I've learnt basic chords and have plenty of info via net, books and dvd's etc.

I think i'm progressing relatively well but need the concentrate more on my technique at strumming ie how many ups and down to each chord. I seem to be using the same pattern in every song i learn. People tell me it will come in time, you just need to listen and listen to the song and it will come. Is this true?

Also, as i concentrate more on the strumming side of things instead of picking i'm told a steel string is much nicer sound. Should i look to invest in one and how much should i look to pay. Seen one for just under £50.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers :D

Andy.

Gagging top learn guitar.

(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

I don't know how you're strumming, but I've heard that plectra are rather damaging to nylon strings. You sacrifice volume and some resilience for a sweetness of tone and less finger discomfort if you have nylon over steel, as far as I know.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I'm no expert, but I was in the same boat as you.. I had a classical guitar lying around from my wife wanting to get my kids into Suzuki guitar method (which didn't really work out). I started playing on that, but recently bought a steel string accoustic.

On the classical, I couldn't really strum with a pick -- it sort of seemed to get "stuck". Also, I couldn't play barre chords well because of the wider neck and the shape.

In any case, you might be better off waiting till you can buy a "decent" quality steel string guitar than buying a real cheap one. You may want to check out the following article: https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=405

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Just my opinion and from my own experience.

The nylon string classical guitar will not get you to where you want to be. It is meant to be played in the classical guitar manner, arpegiated, one note at a time, with the fingers. My father got the family one when I was just a kid 40 years ago. The fustration I had with that guitar put me off playing for 40 years :cry: (yes, I was just a kid at the time). I was able to play chords but not to any great satisfaction. Picked it up and put it down numerous times, until I realized that it wasn't the right type of guitar. Still have it after all these years.

If you want to be strumming, playing rock, blues and folk. Then get yourself a steel string acoustic. As for the price.... I think 50GBP is a bit low. Do yourself a favor and go on down to a store that has a wide selection. Play guitars in each price range (50 100 200 400 GBP) and see/hear/feel the difference.

Bought my son a beginner Fender DG8 for $200 (about 110 GBP). Was pretty impressed with the sound and feel (then again I've never played a session with a high end Martin or Taylor). But it is all personal preference.

Just my 2 cents, I think steel string is the way for you to go.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Bossa Nova is played using nylon string guitars and a pick.

The big difference you'll notice stepping over to a steel-string guitar is that the strings resonate for longer and the sound is sharper. that and your fingers will hurt for a while.

You might pick up a good steel string guitar from the small ads in your local paper, or Cash Converters, but do check out your local guitar shop and see what they can offer you. Most will do some kind of Hire Purchase scheme.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@andyobell)
Topic starter  

Bossa Nova is played using nylon string guitars and a pick.

The big difference you'll notice stepping over to a steel-string guitar is that the strings resonate for longer and the sound is sharper. that and your fingers will hurt for a while.

You might pick up a good steel string guitar from the small ads in your local paper, or Cash Converters, but do check out your local guitar shop and see what they can offer you. Most will do some kind of Hire Purchase scheme.

Best,

Just come from the guitar shop and they have loads available ranging from £69.99 to £300-400. As i'm not a pro dont want to be spending obsene amounts but dont want to scrimp as the longer i play the better i'll get and dont want to have to get another one just because i bought a cheap one. Now i am over the understanding that the shop is quite dear anyway. Do you have a recommended make and how much you would pay in my situation?

Andy

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Do you have a recommended make and how much you would pay in my situation?

In the US, it looks like you can get a reasonably good quality entry level guitar (all plywood) around $200-$250, and get something with a wood top around $300-$500 new. I don't know about UK prices; if the straight currency conversion holds, then you should be able to get a reasonable plywood guitar around 150-250 pounds..

IMHO, if you think you are committed, it is better to spend a bit more; I've often made the mistake in the past (in other hobbies .. like bicycling for example) of buying something at the real low end, and then replacing it rather quickly. (But then again, most bicyles in the US have less than 30 miles on them over their lifetime :-( )

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Something like this
http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/search_details.asp?ID=803

Based on a combination of personal experience and what I've read on this board
Art and Lutherie / Seagull /Simon and Patrick (different branches of the same company)
Tanglewood
Yamaha
Alvarez
all make decent value for money entry level guitars.
As always it's best to try them out...

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yamaha would get my vote, but I had a student who had a Tanglewood and it sounded pretty useful.

Best,

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@fireman-sam)
Eminent Member

Hi All...

This is my first post here, so Hello to everyone.

I've recently got the bug, and am lucky enough to have a boss at work who is 7th Grade Classical from the Uni of Wales UK, and has offered to teach me a little each week or so for free. :D

I am also lucky to have been able to borrow one of his guitars for a while to help me over the 'eager beaver' first few weeks. It is a steel string Onyx (imitation Ovation). I do like the look of the soundholes, as different to normal guitars, the voice is good, but as my first night was last night, my fret fingers feel like pins and needles whenever I touch the tips !! :cry:

Oh well, I know I will get used to it shortly. I think I will stay with a steel string acoustic, as I'd like to get into spanish sounds later on...

ReplyQuote
(@andyobell)
Topic starter  

Anyone know much about the 'Fender' range. Seen one i like down the local shop and thought they were quite a good make. £140.

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member

I started out on a classical as well, then got an electric after 6 months and an acoustic 3 months after that. Now I almost never play on the classical (obviously, it's nice for fingerpicking, though). So, yeah, my suggestion: get an acoustic.

And don't get one that is too cheap. I paid more for my guitars than my skills are worthy of, but it's a lot more fun to play on better guitars, and it makes it more enjoyable to practice.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

You are definatly get what you pay for here. I have already replaced the cheeper one I originally bought with a better one. Find something you like and go for that one. If you feel like you will persue this area then invest more in a nicer guitar, they do play and sound better.

Fireman Sam, welcome to the forum! Yes the pain will go away in time, and you will build calluses from playing. Enjoy your time playing. Nice of your boss to loan you a guitar to help you along and to give lessons. Enjoy your time!

John M

ReplyQuote
(@fireman-sam)
Eminent Member

Thanks 300m... yes another practice session last night and another 2 chords !! Thats now 6 chords in 2 sessions - not bad for a person picking up the guitar at 28 !

I am starting to enjoy myself more as I can now put a few bars together, although they may sound slightly disjointed, I'm still having fun.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

that is the key, enjoy your self :) I will trade you age, I am 50 and starting again after 30+ years

John M

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2