Clear all

High and Dry- Radiohead...HELP !!!

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@maestro04)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys, I'm new to the board. I've just recently picked up the guitar and I've been playing around with a few chords, and I've decided I wanted to start tackling some songs.

I came across High and Dry - Radiohead and knew that this would be the first song I learned. I picked up a great tab and started out figuring the chords and trying to make out the strum patterns. The chords themselves aren't that difficult but I am having trouble figuring out the strum pattern for the song, especially the intro. I can't tell when he is strumming upwards or downwards and how many times he is doing so.

If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it. Maybe if you can help me with the intro and I can figure the rest out myself.

Glad to meet everyone.

Rock on.

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Hi there and welcome.

Well i don't know how Radiohead actually play it, but you will get away with the following pattern.

D D D (slight pause) udu D D on each chord.

I find the best way of playing this pattern is to do three downs, then leave your strumming hand in the down position for the pause, then do a quick Dud, finishing on D D.

If you like this song you might like to check out Fake Plastic Trees on the Easy Song Database, its got a strum pattern on there that's quite interesting.

all the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

high and dry starts out on an upstroke. for the intro is up, down, up, down, down, down. that's two measure.

the verse of the song is down, down, up, down , down. (the up is on the second and a half beat. so you hae to count one and two and three and four and. it would be on the "two and.")

ReplyQuote
(@maestro04)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help, I'll try it out.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@maestro04)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wow I still can't get this. Im having a lot of trouble hearing the strum patterns..
I have terrible Rhythm.

ReplyQuote