Clear all

hills and valleys

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@apparition)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've noticed recently that I can be playing quite well, but when I start learning a new technique or song or something and I'm not doing too well with it yet, the rest of my playing suffers too untill I get the new technique/song down. Is this just me or has anyone else also experienced this too. Is it all just in my head? Might be that I'm just raising my standard when I'm learning something new, so my other playing isn't really getting worse, but that my expectation is subconsiously getting higher so it just seems like my playing isn't as good, or maybe my playing does suffer when I'm working on something new. Is it all just in my head? Am I being to philisophical? lol. Any thoughts?

(@alangreen)

This is all fairly normal. What you'll find helps is to make sure that a good chunk of each day's practise is allocated to keeping existing skills and repertoire going.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Only happens all the time.. :D

the thing is as you get better, and more used to playing the early stuff you played... well it becomes less work, and seems realy easy... things you used to struggle learning... well its childs play now. All I can recomend is going back.. re playing those early bits... and adding a little of the new stuff you have learned, to wake it up a little.

I bet we all remember those first songs we got... simple 3 chord strumming, that we felt on top of the world when we got it down!!! All those hours trying to get the chord changes down. As we have progressed those seem so basic, and boring now... but at the time it was like landing on the moon!!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@askaguitarpro)
Eminent Member

I've noticed recently that I can be playing quite well, but when I start learning a new technique or song or something and I'm not doing too well with it yet, the rest of my playing suffers too untill I get the new technique/song down. Is this just me or has anyone else also experienced this too. Is it all just in my head? Might be that I'm just raising my standard when I'm learning something new, so my other playing isn't really getting worse, but that my expectation is subconsiously getting higher so it just seems like my playing isn't as good, or maybe my playing does suffer when I'm working on something new. Is it all just in my head? Am I being to philisophical? lol. Any thoughts?

When you mention that your playing suffers, are you referring to speed, hitting wrong notes, etc? Might just be a muscle memory thing.....if so, just a bump in the road. Nothing to worry about if you keep working at it.

Jake

AKA "AskAGuitarPro"
http://www.askaguitarpro.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/AskAGuitarPro?feature=mhee
[email protected]

ReplyQuote