Clear all

hmm

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

what does the # in something such as A#..

(@ghost)
Prominent Member

# means sharp, so A# is A sharp.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

And ... while we're on the subject of sharps, there are also flats. Written in ASCII they look like this:

Ab
Cb
Db
Gb

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

You may already know "the rest of the story", but in case you (or other readers) don't:

A "sharp" (#) is one-half step higher in tone (one fret higher) than the named note.

A "flat" (symbolized on-screen with a lower-case "b" since the keyboard doesn't have the exact symbol) is one-half step lower in tone (one fret lower) than the named note.

Thus, A# (A sharp) is the same exact sound/tone as Bb (B flat). The key signature of a particular song will determine whether that tone is notated as A# or Bb.

Did I explain that correctly?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Margaret...I think so :)

Also if you have troubles remembering if the # is Sharp and the b is Flat.

When I look at the A# notation, I think of the # as having teeth (Visualy)...sharp teeth.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I end up forgetting which side of a note sharp and flat lie. So the way I remember is an old Simpsons episode where Homer et al. name their band the "B Sharps" which would just be a C because it's only a half step from B to C.

As a school teacher, it's embarrassing and enlightening to see a lame joke do a better job than logic for me to learn something.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Your explanation is correct, Margaret. Good job.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As a school teacher, it's embarrassing and enlightening to see a lame joke do a better job than logic for me to learn something.
There is a learning system, where you remember things, by attaching them to silly (but rememberable) ideas. Associating the silly idea to the original idea to be learnt, results in a chain of thought, that brings up the real answer. You can also use this system to link any number of items together, such as a long shopping list, just by creating a story line that develops one silly idea into the next.
It's called the Peg System.
I learned all the counties in England, by size, in about 20 minutes (it was my first attempt at the system), but weeks later, I could still recite the list.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Yeah, and the interesting point is that the sharps/flats on a piano are all the black keys. Guitar is a little different because you can't easily identify a sharp or flat note on the fretboard because they all look the same! And if you notice on a piano, there is not a black key between every two white keys... that is because all the notes have a half-step between them except for B->C and E->F. So...

A A#(Bb) B C C#(Db) D D#(Eb) E F F#(Gb) G G#(Ab)

To learn the fretboard, you can checkout [/url]www.fretboardwarrior.com.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

There is a learning system, where you remember things, by attaching them to silly (but rememberable) ideas. Associating the silly idea to the original idea to be learnt, results in a chain of thought, that brings up the real answer. You can also use this system to link any number of items together, such as a long shopping list, just by creating a story line that develops one silly idea into the next.
It's called the Peg System.
I'm never sure if I've spelled rhythm properly until I've said "Rolf Harris, you terribly hairy man" in my head. :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member

I learned all the counties in England, by size, in about 20 minutes (it was my first attempt at the system), but weeks later, I could still recite the list.

So, what are they?!

(And now back to the topic at hand)

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

So, what are they?!

(And now back to the topic at hand)

It was never any use, so I allowed my brain to use the space for something more useful, like music theory. 8) 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote