Clear all

hmm, hope that I got the correct room for these questions

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@wtsamatta)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

in this verse, why are there notes that are in parenthesis? Are they just played normally?

and in this verse, am I supposed to play the notes that are x'd out: muted or are they just skipped?

Thanks for the help good peeps!! :mrgreen:

Anger and sadness are easy....Happiness and passion takes effort

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I'll take a stab. Caveat: More knowledgeable posters to come, hopefully. :lol:

The second example first: Yes, you play the x notes. As muted percussive strokes.

First example: I'd say the parenthetical notes were 'ghost' notes. Lightly brushed and quieter than the rest of the passage...
but that pull off in the second bar, from A3 to A(0), I can't figure out...
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

This is from Powertab, right?

Powertab shows Ghost Notes in parentheses, but quite how you pull off to a ghost note in the 2nd bar is likewise beyond me.

You play the "x" notes - it's a muted percussive strike on the strings fingered at that fret (or it's where the original artist missed the notes he was going for and that's the sound that came out - messed up, in other words.)

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

but quite how you pull off to a ghost note in the 2nd bar is likewise beyond me.
Maybe it's just a hammer-on with no string strike for the ghost on the low E string, or a pull off written wrong for the one on the A string. ?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I thought they were just hammer-on or slide to...doesn't the hammer-on usually have an "H" above it?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Some transcribers put down every note they hear and few people play the guitar noiselessly. In the line with the notes in parentheses, each of those notes could easily have been made while setting up for the barre chord that follows it. Someone with a heavy touch certainly would have hit those notes and the transcriber put them down but put them in parenthesis because he thought the guitarist probably didn't mean for them to come through.

No real need to play them at all if you don't think they add anything.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote