Clear all

Horrid buzzing :|

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@takhara)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So, my guitar/amp/cord is making this terrible buzzing sound, mmk? (Actually how I found this site, was looking for a solution..found a thread, but sadly it didnt really help the issue much)

I tried the screwdriver in the input jack trick dealy, tightened it up a good bit...but its still buzzing really badly.

I noticed, if I manually hold the amp cord in the guitar's jack really firmly...the buzzing stops...so if that would help someone help me, now ya know.

Besides that, its not the jack, its not the actual cord..I know all this for sure, as an old friend tried his guitar and cord on my amp, as well as his guitar and my cord on my amp to see if it'd buzz. It didnt, so its definitely this bad connection 'chere.

I appreciate any help or advice !

-thanks ~

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a new cable is in order. They're expendable items. If you have a bit of skill fixing things, you can often fix "dead" or troublesome cables by replacing the plugs on the ends. One thing you want to avoid is letting the cable hang from the jack on the guitar. Stresses both the plug and the jack. Run the cable between the guitar and strap from the rear, then turn it around and plug it in.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

either a new cable or have another look at the input jack.
remove it completely and look at the solders. make sure the correct wire goes to ground.
I recently built a guitar and soldered everything up so neat. I was proud. the guitar buzzed like mad. looking closer I had the wires solder to the wrong posts. I switched them and all is good.
also, it wiould be advantageous to you to take the strings off and unscrew the pickgaurd. the pickups and wiring are usually afixed to the cover plate and everything will lift off intact. look at all the solder connections. One might be loose or broken.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Given that if you hold the plug in firmly, it's possible that the jack may be bent or otherwise deformed.
Another reason to open it up and take a good close look, assuming you have some amount of ability with tools (no offense, some people seem to be allergic to tools)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@philtho)

Sounds like a grounding issue of some sort. How is the power outlet you're plugging into? Does it have the third ground post? Are you using a 2->3 adapter? Maybe you're going into an older powerstrip? Try a different power outlet maybe? Or use a power strip if you're not?

it could also be the amp itself. My starter amp buzzes, but stops when I touch the jack on the guitar. But it doesn't buzz with my normal amp, which is a Roland Microcube.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I tried the screwdriver in the input jack trick dealy, tightened it up a good bit...

Welcome to the boards- based on what you said here, I'm gonna say it's the jack.

the thing is, if you tightened it up a good bit...then it must have been way too loose. If it's on there right, there isn't really much room at all for tightening. In tightening it up,it's rather easy to also turn it around, and this could totally rearrange your contacts. Even if you didn't, though, it sounds like the jack was pretty loose- if it's been loose for any length of time, it's been moving when you plug in, when you unplug, when you move the guitar while plugged in.

I'd open up the jack and have a look or have a friend who's handy with the old soldering iron have a look.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Does the buzzing stop if you put your hand across the strings? (yes, serious).

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@takhara)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for the late reply, been busy the past few days.

I got my guitar out today though, and noticed if I even -barely- touch the amp cord, when its in my guitar's jack, the buzzing cuts out. Also, if I put my fingers on the strings at all, it buzzes more noticeably.

Now to answer your inquiries, and statements... I have tried hooking my amp up to different outlets, and it hasn't helped, as well as used a friend's amp cord (He said it was a bit more expensive than normal ones, as it was supposed to actually reduce any buzzing noises). Its probably not my amp, because his guitar and cord, and his guitar with my cord worked just fine on the amplifier. I tightened the jack up more, and it reduced a tiny bit of the buzzing, but it isn't completely gone yet.

I posted in my other thread that I could get some pics sometime, but gotta find my camera charger first.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Problem with the jack on your guitar, perhaps?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@takhara)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I was able to tighten up the jack, and the nut thing on the jack, and its not buzzing as bad...but it is still pretty bad whenever my fingers touch the strings.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Have someone take a look at it. It might be a loose wire inside the body of the guitar.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote