House of the Rising Sun

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My question is why the song has an open 3rd string at the end of each chord play.
Is it to give you more time to finger the next chord?

What I mean is the sequence of chords is Am, C, D, F, Am, E and (oversimplifying) you pick up the chord and then half way back down to the 3rd string. But instead of playing the 3rd string note you leave the string open.

So, is that done to give the player more time to finger the next chord?
Because, to me, the song sounds better with the 3rd string chord note.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that third string seems to be important in the appregiated melody. I just ran through the chords and the third string is fretted except when foprm0ing the C chord.
so keep playing the way you are, as, IMO, it is the right way.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

ken I tried to look for the version I learned on (in my 1st month) and you have to pay to see it now (!), but it is done in the key of Em which means you can just concentrate on picking a clean pattern with the designated fingers on the open strings to start, 6 notes to a measure. Don't even worry about the left hand until you have a clean beat. :D
The transposed chords are Em, G, A, C Em and B7 ( B7 = looking from low E string up - X2X202 ) to use your shortcut. Not my favorite song but a great way to learn to pick in even tempo. Also good for "wandering troubadour" effect. :lol:
Hope that helps!

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I fret the chords all the way, but then again, I just play it by ear and from memory. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I would say there are a couple of reasons. Yes it gives more time to finger the next chord and that is important in a song where each individual note will be heard, if you choose to play the song that way. The G string is often used in that manner when playing arpegieos. I also personnaly find the G string seems to have more weight in many instances. I may be nuts but if the G string is slightly out, it is more noticable that the other strings.

Then again maybe I am half dog or something!

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi Ken. I take it you're looking at Mr Hodges version in the 'easy song' section...?

I had to get my guitar to actually work out what you were on about... theory is not a strong point at the moment....

Well, I reckon it's all part of practicing a walking bass line on this version... I'm just putting my latest video on YouTube in which I am attempting (and I use the words advisedly) to show my progress on a simple version and the DH walking bass line version...

I have to say that with any of the songs I hear described and listen to played...everyone has their own interpretation and style - even if it's not meant to have - it just seemed to happen because of things like different make of guitar and even probably, different length fingers maybe :lol:

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Ken. I take it you're looking at Mr Hodges version in the 'easy song' section...?

No, and yes. It wasn't from the 'easy' song section but now that I've taken a look at the 'easy song version', it's the same chords but with the dreaded F chord. Now, that I've started to read the Easy song version, I'm going to try finger picking the notes in the chord. I was using a pick. I have no fingernails so this is not going to sound right I'm sure but I guess I have to start sometime on using my fingers instead of a pick. I might also try the "easier" F chord that is suggested.
So now, I've got 2 things to work on. Changing chords fast enough to stay in beat and finger picking the notes in the chords. This is not going to be easy because my wife tells me I'm extremely 'left brained'. Which is another way of saying I "can't do two things at the same time" or I "can't multitask".
I'm going to stay with playing the notes in the chord instead of substituting the G. I notice the easy version doesn't substitute the G so I feel better now.

Which do y'all suppose is easier, fingers or pick on this song?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Fingers.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Changing chords fast enough to stay in beat and finger picking the notes in the chords. This is not going to be easy because my wife tells me I'm extremely 'left brained'. Which is another way of saying I "can't do two things at the same time" or I "can't multitask".
You can. Just practice.

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

I'm a beginner too and I've been working on the House of the Rising Sun (the easy version) for about four weeks and for what it's worth I finger pick it. I find it a lot easier rather than using a pick, and in fact it helps me get a much more steady beat when I play it.

Another good one to practice your finger picking is REM Everybody hurts (DGDGDGDGEAEAEADG etc.).

By the way if anyone can suggest some more songs on that line (easy open chords and finger picking) I'd appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

This is not going to be easy because my wife tells me I'm extremely 'left brained'. Which is another way of saying I "can't do two things at the same time" or I "can't multitask".

Hi Ken - this is great news. When your wife says 'the walls could do with another coat of paint' - you say 'sorry, the left hand side of my brain tells me I have to play guitar all day today....'

Seriously though...Oh well, not seriously - finger picking doesn't really need fingernails - (not my words - an accomplished guitar player) it gives a nice soft sound, although you can buy those Edward Scissorhands type extensions - very fetching!

Thanks very much Isabelle - I'm a stickler for trying new things even when I haven't mastered one yet... and now I'm going to HAVE to have a go at the REM song... thanks...!!! I suggest you try a simple travis picking style and give 'Dust in the Wind' by Kansas... :lol:

I can see we're going to have a lot of fun here - bring it on....

Check out my latest YouTube vid (sorry Ken - don't want to encroach, but it is pertinent) - not only that, it's good for a hearty laugh.... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=101lu9z56fA

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

Haha thanks Dylan for sharing that vid. Your shades, very cool : 8) : I don't have a youtube account but I'll post a video of my own version of the Rising Sun if I ever get round to it.

Loved your last comment... like the Guitar has a mind of its own... :lol: that's how I feel sometimes!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Seriously though...Oh well, not seriously - finger picking doesn't really need fingernails - (not my words - an accomplished guitar player) it gives a nice soft sound, although you can buy those Edward Scissorhands type extensions - very fetching!
Oh yeah, I do like fingerpicks! See the thread I posted on "Fingerpicks Again" a few days ago in the "Guitar Players" section. But it's definitely easier picking with bare fingers, the picks take getting used to, and you don't need more distractions when you're starting out.

I'm retyping this after posting it and it disappeared. Dunno what happened. :?:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I can see we're going to have a lot of fun here - bring it on....

Check out my latest YouTube vid (sorry Ken - don't want to encroach, but it is pertinent) - not only that, it's good for a hearty laugh.... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=101lu9z56fA

Kewl, Dylan. I don't have the guts to do that. Neat shades!
Two things:
1. You mistyped your intro to Stairway to Heaven as House of the Rising Sun.
I'm sure it was Stairway to Heaven because the tune was recognizable!

2. Your intro said to guess what the last song was . . .
I'm going to take a wild guess here ummm
Dust in the Wind?
(although it sounded more like Gravel on the Road) LOL (just kidding there)

No, I really liked it. You can show your grandkids this video some day (or not)

Keep up the good work. You are way ahead of me already.

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

1. You mistyped your intro to Stairway to Heaven as House of the Rising Sun.
I'm sure it was Stairway to Heaven because the tune was recognizable!
Hi Ken

Thanks for pointing out my typing mistake on the song intro - I'll make sure they're correct in the next vid :roll:

Gravel on the Road - Hey, I feel a song coming on....

Glad people like the shades - I thought I'd make the vids a bit more 'rock and roll' so shades are de rigeur - can't see a damn thing with them on though so needed to play most of tunes 'sans shades'.

Keep smiling.

Dylan

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2