Skip to content
How am I supposed t...

Notifications
Clear all

How am I supposed to play THIS on guitar?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Check out the following chord chart (I always thought this was supposed to be a simple song):

http://www.praisesong.net/amazinggrace.pdf

Now, even if I could switch between all those funky chords that quickly, I'm not convinced it would sound all that great.

So, how does one confonted with a chord sheet like this one go about playing a simple accompaniment arrangement on guitar? What's the point of writing out all those chords? Confused, so any insight you can provide is appreciated.

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

That is a challenging one. I have seen versions of this song with as few as three chords, A, E, B7 I think was one version. Try http://www.chordie.com

ReplyQuote
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I've seen simpler charts for that song. My question is more of a general one: suppose somebody puts a chord chart like that in front of you, what do you play?

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

It's not as hard as it looks. I'm just looking at the first few so here is some easy ways to do the chords:

F/A - 4 string F chord barred at the first fret and hit the open A

F/Bb - 4 string F chord barred at the first fret and move the barring finger over to make the 5th string a Bb

Bb/F - Bb in the A shape barred at the first fret and have the barring finger over to make the 6th string an F

etc.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Also a lot of those slash chords are there to create walking basslines, either from F up to C or from F down to Dm. Depending on the tempo, you can often get by simply playing the bass note of the slash chord.

Something to think about - you can use a capo on the third fret, allowing you to play in D and E (where the last verse changes key up a full step) or on the fifth fret, which allows you to play in C and D. Both suggestions might give you easier chords than playing in F.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

While you're at it, give Mr Hodge's Celtic-tinged fingerstyle version a try. You can find it on the GN lessons pages. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote