Clear all

How can i do better?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@martinbaker2727)
Topic starter  

Hi,

This is my first post here. Hope this is the right place.

I came here looking for some advice. I've been playing the guitar for a few years now, on and off. I learned how to read tabs (can't read sheet music) and I can learn most songs I want to that way.

I'd like to improve, however, but I'm not sure where to start. I can't afford private lessons, and when I had them as a teenager I was basically only taught how to read tabs.

Any advice on what I should look for to improve my skills and be able to do things like improvise? Is it important to know how to read music properly?

Thank you in advance!

(@robert_s)
Eminent Member

Look at JustinGuitar.com. His lessons are free and take you from beginner to advanced,

Gibson Faded T
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE
Yamaha THR10C
Katana 50.
Line 6 HD500X
SOON: PRS SE Custom 24 in Laurel Burl finish

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi,

This is my first post here. Hope this is the right place.

I came here looking for some advice. I've been playing the guitar for a few years now, on and off. I learned how to read tabs (can't read sheet music) and I can learn most songs I want to that way.

I'd like to improve, however, but I'm not sure where to start. I can't afford private lessons, and when I had them as a teenager I was basically only taught how to read tabs.

Any advice on what I should look for to improve my skills and be able to do things like improvise? Is it important to know how to read music properly?

Thank you in advance!

You need to remove the Spam links in your signature - they weren't there when we approved your first post. Future posts will not be approved until you have done so. Thanks

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@1claire)

I think that this post should be placed in the introduction area.
As for your question, there are a lot of good resources that you can find online for free. I always check Youtube for video tutorials if I am still confused I am asking my friends that are knowledgable with playing the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@waylon)
Trusted Member

Music is the best teacher in my opinion. Of course, You can learn scales etc, but if You learn how to play whole songs, You also learn technics. Just play what You like :) Also is great to mix genres. If You didn't do that already, play with metronome. These are great
https://drumshop.pl/4093-korg-metronom-cyfrowy-ma-1-red-black.html
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QwikTime--qwik-time-qt-3-metronome

ReplyQuote