Notifications
Clear all

How do I know when to use a pick?

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dakaye)
Topic starter  

Am I always supposed to play with a pick? For example, I'm trying to learn this song https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=36 . Am I supposed to use my hand or the pick? Thank you.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Welcome to guitarnoise, you've come to the right place.

In this case you use your pick. Atleast that's how I do it.

But, that doesn't mean you HAVE to use your pick. You can always finger pick. You will notice when you use your fingers, it's not as loud.

I hope that helps!

ReplyQuote
(@bojack)
Trusted Member

I suggest playing with a pick whenever possible. Its always gonna sound better with a pick. Unless you plan to only play finger picking songs like Dust in the Wind and Classical Gas you're gonna want to get used to using a pick ASAP. I made the mistake of thinking I didn't need that pick and now I'm still trying to get used to it. Its pretty awkward getting used to the pick after you've been playing for years :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@dakaye)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips. If I use my fingers instead of using a pic, do I use my thumb or my nails? I am real beginner as you can probably tell!

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

in most cases when either A) your getting blisters or B) your fingers start bleeding or finally C) Youyr fingers fall off... thats a signal to start using a pick lol. well mabye a little exagerated lol you get the point...

bstguitarist

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@sally45)
Trusted Member

"If I use my fingers instead of using a pic, do I use my thumb or my nails?"- I guess it's all personal prefrence. When I started out I cut all my nails short but lately i'm growing out the nails on my picking hand. It helps you avoid getting blisters and to me it sounds better. However, your nails have to be pretty strong so If you plan on picking with your nails you might want to consider using some nail thickener. and also-just a tip- if you are gonna learn to fingerpick learn to use the correct fingers (INCLUDING THE RING FINGER!) or else later when you want to get faster or play more difficult songs you'll be kicking yourself for not learning it right the first time.

and to comment on the original question "Am I always supposed to play with a pick?"- again, it's just prefrence. Some people only play with picks and some only their fingers. It all depends on whats comfortable for you,what song/style your playing, and how you want it to sound.

maybe this article will help some?

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=15

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

When finger picking, you use your finger or fingers.

If you use your nail, isn't that the same as using a pick? To answer the question, yes it is.

For the lesson you are working on, I would use the pick.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

If you use your nail, isn't that the same as using a pick? To answer the question, yes it is.
To disagree with that answer: no , it's not. It sounds more like a pick then a fingertip does, but nails don't sound or feel like a pick does.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

To disagree with that answer: no , it's not. It sounds more like a pick then a fingertip does, but nails don't sound or feel like a pick does.

Why not? I know the nail is more dense than the pick but, if used properly you can produce the same sound, no? And for the record I wasn't talking about the feel, pick 'vs' nail. There is a different "feel" to it but, I think you can still produce the same sound.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You can skip strings more easily, which is obvious to me or you, but bears mentioning for newer people.

Nails are more rounded than a pick, so they sound a little less sharp than a pick. Also, your fingertip mutes the string each time you pluck, ending the previous note softly, unlike a pick, which never mutes the string. It's hard to dig in with your nails. With a pick, you can play hard without much change in technique, but with yoout nails you have to switch to rest strokes, which are difficult to do quickly.

ReplyQuote