Topic starter  

-------------3--------
-------------2-------
---------------------
---------------------
--------------------
------------ 3------
TAB

What is the best way for me to pluck the high E string and the B string at the same time if I also have to pluck the low E string (with my thumb) What I have been doing when I need to play two adjacent strings at the same time is grabbing them between my thumb and another finger. What is the best way to play this since my thumb is occupied with the low E string.

It is possible for me to stick different fingers under the strings and pull upwards, but that is slow, and doesn't sound very good.

I also think If I had long finger nails it might be possible? I have nill on my right hand right now?

Make sure you take into account that the finger on the high E string can't slide off the high E string into the B string b/c it will cancel the B string.

(Finger-picking)

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I would play the low E with my thumb, B with my middle finger and high E with my ring finger.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Personally I would use the middle and ring fingers but index and middle are fine also.
You don't really pull up but through the string.
About the same as pinching 2 strings between thumb and whatever other finger except here you are pinching with 2 fingers and the thumb.(ie..the 2 fingers pull toward the thumb and the thumb pulls toward the fingers)
It takes a bit of practice but it won't take long and it will be second nature to you.

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think I've about got it. In my normal finger picking I just pull the strings into the adjacent one (which doesn't work if im trying to also play the adjacent one) Probably not the best technique, but its fast. I just realized I can get it to work if I "claw" them when they are adjacent. It just feels ackward, I imagine its a probably a better technique anyway. Guess I'll just have to practice

Anyway I guess my problem is lazy finger picking.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations.
You now can play what is known as a free stroke.
Rest stroke is where you pull through the string and stop against the adjacent string.
Free stroke is the same but when finishing the stroke you pull toward your palm and away from the string.

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

lol, thanks, never knew lazy picking had a name ;)

ReplyQuote