Notifications
Clear all

How do I use it in a song

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cameronkl7)
Topic starter  

Ok..I've learned to play the E major scale, now how to I use or apply it to a song, and could someone name some songs that the E major would be use in.

Thanks for any help guys
Cam

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You can use that scale for every song. Why not try to figure out some easy tunes?

Here you will find some notes related to scales:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/help/scales-and-soloing/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't say you could use the E Major scale for any song, if you were playing a song in the key of E flat it would sound pretty awful.

Starting out, you should learn to use the E Major scale for songs in the key of E. Most songs in the key of E will have the three Major chords which are E, A, and B, and could include the relative minor chords of C#m, F#m, and G#m.

Try using this scale with a simple 12 bar Blues progression in the key of E. You have 12 measures, the form goes like this:

E/E/E/E/A/A/E/E/B/A/E/B

You will probably recognize that progression immediately, it has been used in literally thousands of popular songs.

You can do a simple eighth note strum for each chord: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & (that is one measure). If you have a recorder, try recording this progression so you can play the scale over it.

Some tips on using this scale:

You have the notes E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#

When playing this scale over the E chords, try starting your phrase with the root E note. When the progression goes to the A chord, play a phrase starting with the A note, and when playing the B chord, try playing a phrase starting with the B note. You will be able to hear the progression in the solo.

When playing over the E chord, the G# note will sound very good, this is the major 3rd of E, it is what makes an E Major chord sound happy. If you flat the G# down to G (the flatted 3rd) you will notice it sounds a little melancholy or sad. This is called a "blue" note by many and is used by Blues guitarists especially. Also, the B note is the 5th of E, so it will sound very good over the E chord.

When you go to the A chord in the progression, the notes A (root) and C# (the major 3rd of A) will sound especially good, as well as the E note (5th of A).

And when you play over the B chord, the B (root), the D# (major 3rd of B) and F# (5th of B) will sound especially good.

Really, you can play any of the notes of the E Major scale over any of these chords, but you will notice some of the notes sound especially good. These are some of the notes I mentioned.

So, record a progression like this and then practice soloing over it. Use your ear and listen for the good notes. You will get it. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I wouldn't say you could use the E Major scale for any song, if you were playing a song in the key of E flat it would sound pretty awful.
When I said you can use that scale for every song I mean you can use that scale for every song in E major. And virtually you can transpose every song to E major. Right, it will not exactly the same song because we are using tempered instruments but I think that is not a problem now.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

[And virtually you can transpose every song to E major. Right, it will not exactly the same song because we are using tempered instruments but I think that is not a problem now.

Actually, using tempered instruments ensures that it WILL be exactly the same song when transposed. That's equal temperament's biggest selling point.
So every song in a major key can be played in E major, transposed if necessary. But not songs in MINOR keys, of course. The E major scale won't work too well in a minor key song.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Actually, using tempered instruments ensures that it WILL be exactly the same song when transposed. That's equal temperament's biggest selling point.
I expressed myself incorrectly again! :roll:

I'm starting to hate this thread! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

So every song in a major key can be played in E major, transposed if necessary. But not songs in MINOR keys, of course. The E major scale won't work too well in a minor key song.

Unless it's a song in C# minor and only uses chords taken from the C# natural minor scale...

Yeah, I know it's nitpicking! I seem to be in that kind of mood tonight :wink: Sorry...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

When I said you can use that scale for every song I mean you can use that scale for every song in E major. And virtually you can transpose every song to E major. Right, it will not exactly the same song because we are using tempered instruments but I think that is not a problem now.

I certainly was not trying to cause a problem. But I got the impression that the poster is very new to music. Cam sounds like he has learned one single scale (E Major) and wants to know how he can use it. We forget that in the beginning that scales, chords, and keys are a big mystery to most of us. I remember buying a guitar book when I first started playing. On the back cover it had all of your very common Major, Minor, and Dominant chords. I would learn the chords, but I didn't understand what a key was or how to use these chords. I actually learned the chords alphabetically, A, B, C, D, E, F, G in order. :lol:

That may sound stupid, but I didn't have a clue.

And I thought Cam might get the idea he can use this E Major scale for any song in any key.

And so I just wanted to show Cam how to use this one single scale, the E Major scale. In time he will learn keys and the chords and scales that go with these keys.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Pay attention to the notes that stand out. "Intervals are everything" when it comes to improvising on this instrument. Just pick a dominant note or two...and have fun chasing after 'em!

cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I certainly was not trying to cause a problem. But I got the impression that the poster is very new to music.
Yes, I agree. I reviewed his other posts before to answer and he already asked for scales. I tried to give some good and general references with the links to the lessons in the main site and some words with a kind of "don't worry about scales now, you can play everything".

Sometimes, when you try to remove some complexity, you are also adding "little lies". I told lies when I said you can play every song in E major but I think he was asking how to use the E major scale in Silent Night (I am using this example because when I learned that carol I did it in E major but I didn't know what was "E" neither what was "scale"... I didn't improved so much currently :lol:).

My apologies. :D

ReplyQuote
(@cameronkl7)
Topic starter  

Hey Guys,

I appreciate all the good advice. I wanted to give a little info on where I am in my playing, so as to help you guys help me. I know chords upon chords, upon chords, I even gotten a lot of the barre chords down now. and can read tab, I've even taught myself how to read music "somewhat" but I still struggle with things such as going from one chord to another with out pausing, lots of chords mostly the open major and minor chords are no problem, no pause, but even though I can play several barre chords thats where my pause comes in. While trying to get to the point of being smooth with those,I thought I might as well try learning scales then apply them to songs, and things such as walkups and walkdowns. I'm trying to back up and learn things I most likely should have learned in the beginning. I'm trying to understand how to apply scales to music to dress up the songs. I pratice a couple of hours in the morings and then a couple of hours in the evening on weekends and at least a couple of hours in the evening during the work week. I just want to learn everything I can, every detail, every aspect, the how's and why's of what I'm attempting to do. I still need help in all areas of trying to tie everything together. I guess I'm saying I have gaps in my knowledge of playing. So I'm just going back and trying to fill in those gaps. I do so much want to learn more, and I can never tell all of you how much I truly appreciate the help and the friendly people here. I guess sometimes the questions I ask seem elementary because I've skipped around so much in my learning process, and some of those things I should have tried to learn much earlier. My playing has improved so much in the last 8 or 9 months due to help on here and other sites, so again, I appreciate all you guys for all you've done!

Cam

ReplyQuote